Recent content by Joseph Crowe

1. J

Why do we hold amplifiers to such high standards?

I read that but I don't see how it relates to what I said. I think you might be talking past me.
  2. J

Cheapest way to get pristine SPDIF out on RCA coax from PC?

That’s a lot of writing but I will mention that the Topping D90S is a USB DAC which also has digital out via RCA. What you are looking for is called a “USB interface”. Products such as the Hiface EVO is such a product. I still have it kicking around...
  3. J

Yeah, it’s not H2 per se, but rather the energy required to produce H2, which drained out from the primary tone. This is where the audibility aspect comes into play. We can’t hear H2, but we can hear how it robs the primary tone of its transient peak energy on music. It’s the same principle as a...
  4. J

One thing I’ll point out is that loudspeaker distortion is much lower than most people realize. The issue surrounds cheap or poor measurement mics and preamps which have a bottleneck for distortion. A good tweeter for example can easily hit 0.01% (-80dB) for upper treble.
  5. J

Female audiophiles on YouTube, sign the audiophile community could be becoming more diverse?

What was “worrying” about Victor’s comment? You seem to be reading into it more than I did.
  6. J

Avantone CLA-10 (Yamaha NS-10M Clone) Review

@amirm Was your subjective listening evaluation done with the speakers mounted on the bridge of a mixing console as a stereo pair? I've read that the boundary reinforcement of the physical mix console provides the correct response through the mid-bass. Also, near field <1m reduces distortion by...
  7. J

Mic Preamp/USB interface Suggestions for Loudspeaker Measurement

Recently I tested the distortion on the Focusrite Scarlett Solo. I looped its line level output into its XLR mic input and ran test tones in ARTA. The dynamic range is only 85dB. I then repeated the test but with the Topping D10S DAC feeding the Scarlett’s XLR mic input. Dynamic range improved...
  8. J

Thanks, I took a look but I don't see a mic preamp. The microphone is an ACO Pacific 7052PH. I don't believe it to be the bottleneck simply because I'm hitting a brick wall at -90dB and Virtins indicates -90dB in their test for the Scarlett Solo. Really? I routinely get -85dB on my loudspeaker...
  9. J

I’m looking for recommendations on a good mic preamp/USB interface for loudspeaker measurement. My Scarlett Solo bottoms out at -90dB IMD from my testing which is also documented by Virtins test report. This is the bottleneck in my measurement system. Thanks
  10. J

Review on RCF ND850 2" Compression Driver

I settled on a 500Hz crossover. Thanks.
  11. J

All measurements were done at the front side of the horn. I've done a number of rear chambers and I typically vent them if they are not inside a bass enclosure. The rear cover could be completely open and only serve as a protective guard for the diaphragm. The output from the rear of the driver...
  12. J

I would like to share my test on the RCF ND850 2" compression driver. The results are pretty good when used as a midrange. Distortion @85dB SPL 1m, 1kHz... H2: 0.056% :oops: H3: 0.024% H4: 0.0072% Cheers, Troy J. Crowe
  13. J

Better than the sum of their parts?

It's rational to assume that distortion only adds, however if you study the topic further to understand how nonlinear functions work, it is conceivable that they could work in concert to reduce distortion. An example of this is found in this video, where he shows the nonlinear function on his...
  14. J

Better than the sum of their parts?

Yes, it seems conceivable that a reverse nonlinear function can cancel out harmonic distortion generated by the offending upstream device assuming reverse phase. It's also interesting that a harmonic distortion test is phase blind. It could be completely out of phase with the fundamental tone...
Top Bottom