Recent content by josby

1. J

Ways to get more than 8 analog outputs without clock sync issues?

Thank you all for your input! You definitely directed me to some devices that I would not have found otherwise and that I think will work as a solution for me.
  2. J

I've wanted to listen to one of those Revel systems but never had a chance. What's your opinion on the center image it produces? And does it work equally well in the passenger's seat as in the driver's?
  3. J

Thanks, I kind of suspected that modern converters were probably good enough for this to not really be an issue, but it's cool to see some proof of it.
  4. J

It's definitely not an ideal environment for a number of reasons, but my past experience with a Harman Kardon Logic7 system in a car makes me think it is still worth pursuing. The center image will be to the right of the driver and to the left of the front-seat passenger (LHD car), which is...
  5. J

That's a good question. It gets a little messy, though. Those units can only accept 2-channel digital input. So I'd first need an 8-channel USB DAC to feed 7.1 from the PC to the Helix's 8 analog inputs. The Helix only has 12 outputs, so I'd need to run some of those to a second Helix...
  6. J

Yeah, that unit is definitely cool and does function as a USB sound card, but only a 6 channel one, so it can't do 7.1 playback. I do plan to run Dirac on the PC, though.
  7. J

Same problem there - the Alpine doesn't function as a USB audio card and its digital input is only stereo.
  8. J

I had checked those out, but the problem is they aren't USB audio interfaces. The USB port on them is just for configuring the DSP. They only output sound that's come in via their 6 analog jacks or 2-channel SPDIF input. Their optical interface doesn't support ADAT.
  9. J

Thanks, but another limitation I failed to mention is that the PC will be a little 8"x8"x2" miniature one, so the solution needs to be external via USB.
  10. J

Interesting - none of the pics I've seen of the MK5 show its power brick size. But, the power requirement for the MK5 is 12V-18V and cars have about 12.4V-13.8V, so I may be able to power them directly. Or, if there are ground isolation issues, with a DC-DC isolator that should be small...
  11. J

Yeah, the less space needed the better since I'm trying to not eat into the cargo space. I just realized the Motu Ultralite mk5 has the same 10 analog outputs + 8 ADAT outputs + 2 SPDIF outputs as the Behringer UMC1820, but is physically only half the size, so I could just run two of those...
  12. J

Oh, yeah, I should have mentioned that this will be going into a car, so the specs like THD+N and such don't have to be the best since the noise floor will already be high. That UMC1820 does look promising. I could use its 10 analog outputs directly, then run 8 more through a Motu Ultralite...
  13. J

Nice! I had come across a few USB interface devices that could output various multi-channel digital formats (ADAT, TDM, A2B), but none with multiple ADAT outputs like that, and also hadn't had any luck finding devices that would let me then turn those digital formats into analog output. So...
  14. J

Thanks! That does indeed look like a good solution, though a bit pricier than what I was hoping for.
  15. J

I'm trying to build a 7.1 playback Windows PC that will have 2-way (or possibly 3-way) speakers at each main channel. Each individual driver will have its own external amplifier channel (RCA inputs), so I want the PC to have enough analog outputs that it can perform crossover and time-alignment...
Top Bottom