Recent content by Jolly Joker

1. J

DSP from scratch, Android tablet + Edifier MR4's first?

Thanks for the warning. Tablet + MiniDSP seems like an easy solution but I guess I'll have to look through how a Hifiberry works. Just getting a used laptop would probably be easiest but I kinda just want a touchscreen without anything that looks like a computer if that makes sense.
  2. J

I suspect I'll have to deal with upgrading my speakers at some point no matter what. I'll have to keep in mind I may have to (at least) move any acoustic plates. Thanks for the tip with multiple subs. Getting more than one shouldn't be much of an issue.
  3. J

Follow-up: Should I use an external USB DAC? Will a cheap tablet give horrible sound from the headphone output?
  4. J

Hi! I've recently rearranged some furniture and now have my living room without computer and sound system. I've been planning to build a cheap-ish system with DSP, using REW to get measurements, add some acoustic treatment, fiddle with placement of speakers, subwoofers etc. This would be for...
  5. J

Actual Double Blind Studies

You would have, for example, a WAW file being played and a WAW file recorded at the listening position. Then you could vary the output being played in the room, affecting the subjective experience of the listener and the objective measurement of the microphone. The differences of the input...
  6. J

Aah, I see the misunderstanding. I wasn't talking about faking different speakers with DSP; I meant testing what differences people can hear and what sound they prefer using just DSP for the double blind test, using actual measurements from a microphone. Compare source material to what the mike...
  7. J

I know that much, I just don't see where there's discussion of it in this thread
  8. J

Can you give me a pointer? The word "directivity" itself isn't mentioned that I can find
  9. J

Newbie question here. Can't you just use DSP and measurement microphones at the listening position to get useful data on people's preferences and ability to distinguish such-and-such differences in a way that can be reproduced in different locations, without caring about speaker swapping and such?
  10. J

HDMI Display For WiiM Mini (via Inovato Quadra)

Maybe I'm overestimating how much work there is in putting together hardware for something like this. Just seemed like a simple change if someone wants a non-16:9 screen. I can see how it would look nice covering the front of a suitably sized box.
  11. J

HDMI Display For WiiM Mini (via Inovato Quadra)

Can't be too hard to modify the layout. Looks like redoing the row, column, columnspan assignments in wiim.py?
  12. J

Amateur wants to develop a speaker based on Purifi PTT4

Do I understand correctly that the reason for a separate bass module is that the slots would dampen the low frequency response if you didn't have a wall between the two? I realize 100-200 Hz can still be localized so you can't just cross over to subs (spread around the room) at that point, but...
  13. J

Amateur wants to develop a speaker based on Purifi PTT4

How does this compare to the Directiva R1? I'm new at this, but this seems like it could be a version made to cross over to subwoofers at 80 Hz unlike the 40 and 200 Hz of the current Directivas. Do they use any tricks to handle the baffle step beyond just having a larger woofer in R1?
Top Bottom