Recent content by Johnp

1. J

Pioneer VSX-LX505 AVR Review

That is just how it is once Dirac is loaded on this unit. You cannot adjust distances.
  2. J

Should we correct to Schroder, or full range?

The measurement is with sub crossed at 80. I didn’t measure the sub correction output.
  3. J

Of course the correction window can be limited, but it looks like it's doing mostly eq above 300Hz. Here's the MDAT if interested.
  4. J

The filter output was only for the left. I was illustrating the filter output and using measurements I had on hand. Here are three-position measurements with averages for the left speaker. Here is a link to the MDAT.
  5. J

Here's LR averaged uncorrected and then Dirac corrected, single point, no additional smoothing. In the middle is the line-level output of the Dirac filter. You can see how the filter approach between 200 and 300 Hz is different than the approach to variations above 600 Hz. Using full range to...
  6. J

Frustrated Streaming Movies no longer in Atmos

Atmos is now a premium feature, only available with Max Ultimate and Paramount + Showtime. If not on those tiers, no Atmos. I dont watch much Prime but was under the impression they only had Atmos for their originals.
  7. J

Frustrated Streaming Movies no longer in Atmos

All of those movies are playing in Atmos except for Top Gun Maverick on Prime. Paramount + and Max only provide Atmos with their top tiers now. Tomorrow War is Atmos, and I don't think there are tiers for quality on Prime.
  8. J

My first attempt at Dirac this morning (on the 3800)

Atmos-enabled are speakers that bounce sound off the ceiling. They usually sit on top of base-level speakers. Regular ceiling or height speakers work fine with Dirac.
  9. J

Dirac Reviews

The difference you describe is clear to me. It’s likely that phase and time alignment are making a perfect match, removing what can be described as “spaciousness”. It may be that it’s more accurate with Dirac full range, but it also sounds somewhat artificial to me.
  10. J

MMM approach and a new calibration app (magic beans)

I’m in the same page with the terminology here. @GXAlan mentioned measuring to get flat NF. I was sharing a relatively easy way to do that with Dirac. If you do the NF with a flat target loaded, Dirac is aiming for flat at the listening position. When measured near field, it will have elevated...
  11. J

MMM approach and a new calibration app (magic beans)

You can flatten NF with Dirac by loading a perfectly flat target curve in Dirac, measuring NF, inverting the result of the measurement, and using the inverted result as the target curve. I’ve done this above transition, and the result is almost perfectly flat. I have not done it full range using...
  12. J

Pioneer VSX-LX505 (with Dirac) Unboxing and Overview

Yes, with a computer. There is a bug with level on the volume setting screen with the sub being way too quiet, but it works fine once you get the sub level right
  13. J

What to change in Onkyo NR7100 after using Dirac Live? Disappointing sound from subwoofer

As an example, I matched my sub with the center prior to running Dirac, and they're both set at +6.0:
  14. J

What to change in Onkyo NR7100 after using Dirac Live? Disappointing sound from subwoofer

You should reset Dirac by changing speaker configuration. This will reset the trims. Then, either using REW or an SPL meter, set your sub to the same level as your center channel using the gain knob on the sub before starting Dirac. Then set your sub to +2.5 in Dirac, and all should be fine...
  15. J

-14dB is the max negative trim setting for the sub and means the sub was too loud during your initial calibration. There is a sub level bug in some of the Onkyo and Pioneer Dirac units. A workaround is to set your sub level equal to your loudest speaker using an SPL meter prior to Dirac...
Top Bottom