Recent content by JohnM-73

1. J

Audiolab 6000CDT experience

I’ve owned mine for almost 3 years now. Never a problem (to date, touch wood/everything!) with even the slightest of CDs being scratched, but I’ve always had the same issue with coaxial spdif. Would seem to be a design flaw alas. Fortunately I use optical most of the time and otherwise have been...
  2. J

Chord DAVE Review (DAC & HP Amp)

I never said it wasn’t his choice.
  3. J

CHORD M-Scaler Review (Upsampler)

I’d still like to ‘hear’ one, just to see for myself whether I could subjectively tell any difference at all. My TT2 was returned recently though due to QC issues I got sick of, and I guess it would be a moot point trying it out on my Benchmark DAC3 HGC?
  4. J

What frustrates me about Mr Watts (and bearing in mind up until quite recently I was a great admirer of his designs, particularly during the DPA/Deltec era) is his choice to stay under the safety umbrella of his adoring crowd over at Head-Fi. He knows he has it good there, any serious rebuttal...
  5. J

Nailed it! If the Dave (or TT2 etc) are so incredibly phenomenal, why do so many of the owners spend so much time over at Head-Case trying to get the best from it? I mean, they don’t even listen to the designer’s own comments about NOT needing an upgraded psu. Curious how they pick and choose...
  6. J

Indeed! I was rather tickled too when I read that :D
  7. J

Review and Measurements of Benchmark AHB2 Amp

I’ve literally just purchased a used AHB2, and came here to peruse this thread, and just saw the news. Words can’t express how shocked and sorry I feel for Mr Siau and his family & friends. Thoughts and prayers sent X
  8. J

I loved the design of TT2, it reminded me of HAL with the glowing red led in the centre of the display area. Plus, like HAL, my TT2s went wrong… That plus calling their flagship DAVE does make one wonder… ;)
  9. J

Exactly. It was reading posts like that that plus the unreliability of 5 (!) TT2s that finally got me to break away from the Chord cult. Many of RWs posts have increasingly come over as rather egotistical too - “only I understand fully and can do digital right” kind of attitude. As others have...
  10. J

Thanks for clarifying that.
  11. J

"Legal rights" for up to 6 years, whatever that means exactly : https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/consumer/somethings-gone-wrong-with-a-purchase/claim-using-a-warranty-or-guarantee/
  12. J

It’s currently 12:30am midnight in Australia…
  13. J

Cheers! Other than the surprisingly audible coil wine from the internal SMPS, delighted with it. No desire to upgrade to a DAVE now either ;)
  14. J

Amir did say the unit runs extremely warm, which tracks with other reports out there too. Wonder if that capacitor is the (direct or indirect) reason for the poorer channel on this unit. And one must wonder how many other DAVEs might also have that cap issue too. I jumped off the Chord...
  15. J

Benchmark AHB2 / Class D Purifi Eigentakt / Mark Levinson 333 - Listening impression & Conclusion

Yes, and I need to make clear my listening was purely subjective, no level matching etc, just for my own enjoyment with no time scale limits to switch over amps. The Purifi was run from the balanced outputs of the Quad Artera CD/Pre at the time, which has adjustable output, which I’m pretty sure...
Top Bottom