Recent content by JohnKay

1. J

Lyngdorf TDAI-1120 questions

Bit of a strange question, sorry: Has anyone tried to use a sonos port with the lyngdorf? If so, does it sync well with sonos speakers? I know some avr receivers add a bit of dsp delay to the input (even digital coax) and that means it is not possible to sync whole home sonos. Is that the case...
  2. J

Ikea SYMFONISK Picture Frame Speaker Review

Very similar experience (Sonos One Gen2 and Sonos Five). I have not had the chance to listen to the Frame speaker but I look forward to it :-) After 15 years of some pretty intense box swapping, cable management wars (damn you cables) and multiple layers of software (Roon on top of Audio Hijack...
  3. J

Sonos Five

I could be wrong but I suspect that Sonos adapts and modifies the frequency response of the speaker with firmware updates. This may be behind the rtings note in the Sonos One Gen 2 frequency response section (as mentioned by napilopez above). rtings noted the difference between the One SL and...
  4. J

Sonos Five

I want to like these. They solve so many issues as they are discreet in looks / design, quite good at WiFi connectivity (no need for ethernet, powerline adapters etc.), they can go close to corners, the app is quite good, they offer every streaming service and also work with Airplay 2...
  5. J

Roon 1.8

I agree, products / solutions that allow multiroom audio (in sync) + Streaming integration + DSP (per endpoint) + library management are very scarce. I can think of LMS although I have not used it myself. Roon was getting close to being the best but with library management now curtailed, I can...
  6. J

Roon 1.8

I have been using Roon since 2017... Local library with 9000 tracks. 1.8 has removed Library management functionality which , to me at least, is important: We can no longer see which playlist a track belongs to. This was really imporant for me as I use playlists / tags and bookmarks to manage my...
  7. J

Class d keeps improving

Very interesting indeed and thank you for sharing this link. I had a brief audition of the Sonos Amp about a year ago at my local dealer (paired with Dynaudio M10 speakers) and to my ears the sound was lean, clean and a bit bright... it was not a comfortable sound for my ears. I remember that I...
  8. J

Review and Measurements of SONOS Amp

Many thanks for the feedback on the amp. Out of curiosity, how does it sound without Roon dsp? If you had to use the EQ (treble / bass) alone, would it be ok for music and TV?
  9. J

Rega Fono MM MK3 Phono Preamp Review

It looks like Aluminium case but Plastic fascia (the standard Rega construction post 2008). I could be wrong but this is what this looks like. I have had many Rega products for the past 10 years (I love the sound) and up to around 2008 they were made out of metal and felt like tanks. The Rega...
  10. J

Is Roon player getting too bloated and buggy too???

I agree... there does appear to be a big spike in support tickets but that is not (in itself) an indication of structural problems. It does point to bugs present in the update and it does mean there is pressure in customer support to address these. They may be able to handle it fine, not sure.
  11. J

I had a quick scan through the support category and it appears the last 3 days (following the new build release) show close to 280 support tickets (both new and updated). Same 3 day periods in previous weeks have about a quarter of that. Not a rigorous assessment but the impression is that of a...
  12. J

It does look like Tidal is better than Spotify in terms of how it pays artists per stream but it still is $0.00876 per stream. Interestingly, amazon music unlimited pays artists $0.01123 per stream. This is 2019 data as presented here...
  13. J

Why Has Equalization Gotten Harder Over Time?

totally agree, PEQ / DSP is wonderful and sorely missing in most products these days. Roon DSP has saved me in cases where optimal speaker placement is impossible. I agree it does not replace good speaker placement and properly treated rooms but in cases where one is constrained (i.e. small...
  14. J

Review and Measurements of Bluesound NODE 2i Streamer

Is the Denon digitising the RCA analogue input? I know some AVRs do that so in essence, the analogue input is converted to digital before converted back to analogue internally... in this case I suspect that using the AVR's coaxial (digital) input avoids all this double conversion... Not sure if...
  15. J

Amir, out of curiosity, have you experienced any crashes of the roon remote app? Cheers
Top Bottom