Recent content by JohnBooty

1. JohnBooty

Legal fund for Reviewers/Erin?

According to what Erin posted, I wouldn't expect a "loose screw/cable" sort of issue to show up in precisely the same way in both the left and the right speaker. Then again... maybe! I would assume the speakers were made at the same time. So, if somebody forgot to tie down a cable or something...
  2. JohnBooty

Oh boy. I encourage everybody to watch Erin's updated review (linked above) but the summary is that he remeasured with properly installed feet and the measurements (as expected) barely changed. The slight "cabinet resonance" that Erin initially identified really does seem to be unrelated to...
  3. JohnBooty

So, few positives here. Watching Eric Alexander (Tekton's) video, he mentions that (though he'd prefer not to) he's going to publish measurements for Tekton's speakers henceforth. It's at 13:08 of the video. This was actually suggested by me in a post earlier today. Little did I know that...
  4. JohnBooty

Yeah. The new reality for manufacturers should be this: Manufacturers should conduct and publish their own measurements. Instead of harassing reviewers because their measurements are "wrong" you should have your own reference measurements. Accept that the interwebs are a big part of product...
  5. JohnBooty

It's reasonable to collaborate with the manufacturer as long as transparency and independence are maintained. I think Amir does something similar? If there are flaws with the review unit, or problems with setup, etc the manufacturer should have a chance to help out. Of course, this should also...
  6. JohnBooty

Yamaha R-S202 Receiver Review

I have no affiliation with A4Less, but I bought a factory refurbished receiver from them in 2018 and it was pristine. Working flawlessly since 2018. Anecdotally, we've been recommending them for years at r/BudgetAudiophile. Experiences have been very positive overall. A few people have had to...
  7. JohnBooty

I really appreciate this. I didn't realize that term had negative connotations. Thanks for letting me know. I re-worded those posts to remove it.
  8. JohnBooty

And "real" audiophiles wouldn't use it anyway because they (okay, we) would want a higher fidelity discrete phono pre-amp.... an integrated phono amp would basically be catering to a niche market of people who have thrifted old record players without integrated preamps.
  9. JohnBooty

That's interesting. I'm so clueless about the manufacturing side of things. When did that price difference start to go away? The R-S202 is a minor revision of the R-S201 (just adds BT I think) which was available in 2013 and possibly earlier, so the design probably is quite old....
  10. JohnBooty

Also, am I alone in the following thinking? While a palmtop amp is obviously smaller there's usually a giant power brick. That's still going to be less total cubic inches than this Yamaha even if you count the brick. But in practice a lot of times it winds up feeling messier. It's hard to...
  11. JohnBooty

We've got a lot of spec-chasers here and I'm admittedly one of them. But on the other hand I think people are really kidding themselves if they think there's going to be some kind of meaningful real-world difference between this and a 85db SINAD amp. Sure, maybe with higher-end speakers and a...
  12. JohnBooty

Is it audiophoolia to care about SINAD differences which have no correlation in blind listening tests? H2/H3 distortion 'enriches the sound'?

Is this really true, or is this just how equipment tends to be demonstrated at audio shows?
  13. JohnBooty

What was your best (and worst) audio purchase for the dollar?

Best... Pioneer SP-BS22-LR bookshelf speakers, $100/pair at the time. Another audiophile gateway purchase. Seasoned audiophiles may scoff these are a revelation if you've never heard anything "audiophile" before and that's who I was at the time. MiniDSP 2x4 $120ish, UMIK-1 calibrated mic...
  14. JohnBooty

Is it audiophoolia to care about SINAD differences which have no correlation in blind listening tests? H2/H3 distortion 'enriches the sound'?

Within reason, it's not audiofoolery. In this hobby we certainly do see people who seem to have spent the majority of their budget on "high SINAD" electronics stacks, who might have been much better served by simply upgrading their speakers instead. But as long as we stay grounded in facts and...
  15. JohnBooty

Worst measuring loudspeaker?

My understanding is that the "newstand price" basically just gave the physical store financial incentive to dedicate shelf/rack space to your publication. example - they pay $0.25 for a $5.00 magazine and get to keep $4.75 for every one they sell. (Which is one reason why Craigslist really...
Top Bottom