Recent content by JohnBooty

1. JohnBooty

Worst measuring loudspeaker?

Yeah, I guess he became set in his ways decades ago when speakers had crazy uneven dispersion and it was a total crapshoot how any given speaker would sound in any given room. I feel bad for those people. They're missing out on a lot of fun. One wonders if they even believe their own BS... or...
  2. JohnBooty

Parts Express DIY C-Note Speaker Review

That's great to hear! I'm glad they turned out so well and even more importantly: I'm glad your health is better.
  3. JohnBooty

Topping G5 Review (Portable DAC & HP Amp)

Is the battery replaceable in any way? I try not to buy equipment that will become useless after a certain number of charge cycles.
  4. JohnBooty

Crown XLS2502 Stereo Amplifier Review

What music are you listening to in surround mode, exactly? Music recorded in 5.1/7.1? Or are you just running 2.0 music through something that attempts to upmix it to 5.1/7.1? I've found "surround mode" for 2.0 music on AVRs to be a gimmicky joke at best and it's not for me. But, that's...
  5. JohnBooty

dbx 1231 Graphic EQ Review

I have the "little brother" EQ of this unit, and I really like it. I like it because of the physical sliders. Not because I have some kind of fetish for these particular sliders -- they're a bit cheap feeling on mine, honestly, though they get the job done. No, I like it better than digital...
  6. JohnBooty

dbx 223xs Crossover Review

I own a similar model from dBX and have always looked forward to (and feared) the day that somebody might objectively measure it. All ASR readers know that feeling, right? :) I enjoy it and it sounds good to me but I know enough not to trust my own ears. I used to accomplish the exact same...
  7. JohnBooty

GR Research Klipsch RP-600M Upgrade Review (speaker)

I would have paid a few dollars to see his face when somebody told him he got a nice review on ASR. If anybody here owns a time machine and you've already seen all the interesting events in history, would you mind going back a few hours and getting some pics of this moment?
  8. JohnBooty

JBL A180 Tower Speaker Review

I think if you show up to a dorm in 2022 with anything besides a Bluetooth speaker they're not even going to know what they're looking at!
  9. JohnBooty

GR Research LGK 2.0 Speaker Review (A Joke)

For nearfield use these (no longer available) ultrabudget Micca Club3s were actually really credible (with bass down to ~40hz!) if you added your own DSP corrections. Linked article has uncorrected and DSP-corrected measurements. Owning these was a bit of an eye (ear?) opener for me with regards...
  10. JohnBooty

Polk Signature Elite ES20 Review (Bookshelf Speaker)

Definitely a lot of people love it. I think a lot of people also don't care too much and find it gimmicky. Not sure if the ratio is 90/10, 10/90, or 50/50. For my part, I can count the number of times I've been wow'd by it and that number is in single digits, lol. Individual tastes vary of...
  11. JohnBooty

Polk Signature Elite ES20 Review (Bookshelf Speaker)

1. Aside from the general characteristics of any good speaker (accurate FR, low distortion) home theaters should be able to handle a fair bit of power if you want theater-like output levels. Additionally, wide and even dispersion matters because you would like them to sound good from various...
  12. JohnBooty

Legacy Wavelet Attempted Review (Speaker Processor)

As a Yank, I would be completely in favor of this. We'll go metric and you guys work on the comma thing. Everybody wins!
  13. JohnBooty

Legacy Wavelet Attempted Review (Speaker Processor)

Wow, this is absolutely insane. Well, not "insane", more like evil. So this unit becomes a $5K brick when this company goes out of business or decides to stop supporting this product? As a child I was so excited about technology in general and the internet in particular. But this is what it...
  14. JohnBooty

Topping LA90 Review (Integrated Amplifier)

@JohnYang1997, your engineering talent is appreciated. Thank you for helping to push the industry forward.
  15. JohnBooty

Full Noob seeks guidance - Which Amp?

@LilSizzle This is a long topic but two things about "watts" 1. Manufacturers play very loose with these specs. They may say "160W" but it might mean the amp can only output 160W for a fraction of a second, at very high distortion. Class D amps' power output is routinely overstated by 2x or...
Top Bottom