Recent content by JohnA

1. J

CHORD M-Scaler Review (Upsampler)

Yes, but what if it becomes too analytical? Clinical even? We can't have that..
  2. J

The more torches, the more enlightening ha ha..
  3. J

Let them light as many torches as they like. Truth always prevails in the end. I lost time and money buying into the 'extra long tap' narrative. I ended up learning more about myself and how it is indeed possible to have everyone around you deceived and self-deluded. This lesson also transfers...
  4. J

Only if you burn them in the correct direction. Otherwise the electrons don't line up properly (yes, I've heard that too!)
  5. J

I am prepared to give Rob the benefit of the doubt on this one. Our understanding of the brain is primitive and we have no proof that his claim is incorrect. ...But neither do we have any proof (or even indication!) that the claim is correct. Nobody has managed to pick up any of these nuances...
  6. J

That's what they were telling me on HeadFi, to wait until it 'beds in', listen for a couple of weeks with MScaler and then take it off and feel the loss of magic. And I tried it like an idiot, that's how desperate I was to make a case for the MScaler in my system. All this delay achieved was to...
  7. J

After watching Rob answer the carefully-phrased questions I know which way I'm leaning on now.. Reminded me a bit of the prince Andrew interview:facepalm:
  8. J

So why on earth did he fit a level-matched bypass button on the remote? If he was knowingly misleading/misrepresenting, that would be the last thing he would fit on the MScaler. I've spent *many* hours investigating the 'tap' business and now I've got useless spare BNC cables and ferrites lying...
  9. J

I think it is important to note that Rob Watts went to the effort to add the fair comparison functionality by equalising the levels. It certainly shows his confidence in the before/after results. Just because I cannot hear any difference, doesn't mean that others don't think they can. It must...
  10. J

I have tried blind tests with 192/24 recordings scaled down all the way. I admit that I cannot tell the difference from redbook upwards (when *everything* else is the same!) I can tell (with difficulty sometimes though) the difference from 320kbs MP3 to 44/16, but from then upwards nope! Of...
  11. J

It was received in the lines of I was doing something wrong, that it was my fault. I really gave it the benefit of the doubt, studying the theory Rob Watts claims, which still registers as legit with me. But I still couldn't hear any difference. I even replaced the panels of my Martin Logan...
  12. J

I had the MScaler for 5 weeks at home during the so-called pandemic along with the Chord QuTest (supports dual-BNC 768KHz) For the life of me I could not hear any difference whatsoever at any level of upscaling. No depth increase, no soundstage widening, nothing. Tried different recordings...
  13. J

Distortion down to -300 dB, what exactly does that mean physically?

I mentioned it because both claims come from the same crowd in the same context. Maybe there is something into the claims, and not just plain old-fashioned expectation bias. ..I hope..
  14. J

Distortion down to -300 dB, what exactly does that mean physically?

So are all these 'high-tap' people definitely deluding themselves? And where would the threshold of audibility be? 100, 1000 taps? How far the Nyquist-Shannon way do we need to go for any trained listener to be imposible to discern any further improvement? It would be damn useful to have a...
Top Bottom