Recent content by John_M

1. J

Lowest distortion headphones 2023, what's the consensus?

Also of course Stax. He never reviewed any Stax headphones, but he did some tests on a Stax amplifier using the SR-007 Mk1 showing very low distortion, and much or all of this may be coming from the amplifiers...
  2. J

Sennheiser HD800S Review (Headphone)

I am using 353X with SR-009. Currently trying equalizing to Harman with oratory1990's settings. I listen to about half the maximum volume on the amp. The "better bass" claims appear to be expounded by two of the "High Wizards" of the Stax mafia, Kevin Gilmore and spritzer, who do have a...
  3. J

Just thinking about this... a claim frequently made in the electrostat community is that very powerful third party amps are needed to drive the bass properly on many electrostatic headphones (especially the SR-007). If this is correct, and who knows whether it is or not, would the problem be...
  4. J

That makes sense and I think that would hopefully be fine with electrostatic headphones as (I think) they don't have much bass distortion even at high volumes, unlike dynamic phones.
  5. J

This is another big statement in the context of what we're told on this site... is it generally accepted that "EQ... inevitably brings all sorts of distortions"? We are told that EQ is the way to go. :) I think someone else asked for this but it would be interesting to see some pre- and post-...
  6. J

It would be interesting to see some of the suggestions in this review explored further. In particular, it is stated that the HD800S achieves better instrument separation than the HD650 (query whether this is something different from soundstage?) It is then suggested that the cause of this is...
  7. J

The problem is that there are lots of different opinions on this. Look at what Amir's written: "I would need more time to analyze what is going on. As I noted though, my current hypothesis is exaggeration of certain frequencies above 5 kHz combined with the larger caps and maybe even driver...
  8. J

This seems a pretty fundamental point - not just to this review but to all the ASR reviews. Surely the point of the reviews is to inform readers' purchasing decisions. If I compare the frequency response and the distortion of the HD800S to that of the HD650, the conclusion must be that I...
  9. J

What headphones would you like Amir to measure next?

Wow, first I've heard of this. Won't be easy for Amir to get hold of a pair, though.
  10. J

Stax SRM-Xh Review (Electrostatic Headphone Amp)

Thanks for the replies - looking forward to seeing one or more Stax headphone reviews...
  11. J

Also, this could almost be used as a review of the SR-007 in the headphones section. Pretty much what was expected - it's going to get criticised for non-Harman compliance in the bass region but has very low distortion. :) (And query how much distortion is coming from the amp rather than the...
  12. J

I wonder if you could compare the frequency response at a higher dBSPL? There are numerous people in the "electrostat community" (if such a thing exists) who claim that, unless you buy an amp with the power of a nuclear reactor, it won't drive the bass properly (especially with the SR-007). The...
  13. J

Audio Technica ATH-ADX5000 Review (Headphone)

Yes, that's the only way to know 100% but a technical expert poster earlier wrote that "Tyll's measurements are only more noisy than better systems. If Tyll's rig showed better performance it must be superior." So it seems pretty clear that they have just upped the distortion significantly? (I...
  14. J

Thanks JohnYang. I think the "no" is to what phoenixsong wrote (or my interpretation of it)? Everyone is giving technical responses but, on a human level, does this not seem slightly odd to anyone else? That you would bring in a new and more expensive flagship one of whose features is that it...
  15. J

Thank you. I don't have a technical background but I can (sort of) understand what you mean. I am glad to hear this: "It is obvious the 2000 driver performs technically 'better'..." (Slightly different from phoenixsong's response, which suggested that Tyll's measurements weren't the most...
Top Bottom