Recent content by John1959

1. J

Review and Measurements of Okto DAC8 8Ch DAC & Amp

Yes, for a small surcharge. Ser their website for more details.
  2. J

Okto dac8 stereo DAC Review

The Okto Research DAC8 has been consistently very well reviewed , not only because the measurements but also the subjective sound quality (e.g. Stereophile). That's a fact. But no doubt there are a lot of DAC's these days which perform equally good and maybe some are even better in some ways...
  3. J

Well, it's not the first time they had to decide (temporary) not taking any new orders. I guess the supply chain has little to do with it, just demand far surpassing the production capacity (may be the very favourable recent Stereophile review has something to do with it). . I think this is the...
  4. J

I read somewhere (don't remember exactly where) that Pavel himself mentioned the 9038Pro theoretically could have some slight benefits at some point and he would look into it. But he also mentioned some drawbacks. Had something to do with more current and noise I believe. I am sorry that I...
  5. J

After reading the extremely favourable Stereophile review in the February issue, I am not very optimistic about their lead times in the near future. Unless they manage to speed up their production considerably, which is not a trivial task or even very risky I guess for such a niche product. It's...
  6. J

Yes, as already mentioned just a AES/EBU male to S/PDIF). I would look at the PRO (web)shops. Prices depend mainly on the quality of the connectors but should not exceed US$10 to US$20 for a good quality 1,5 meter cable. Shorter ones are sometimes harder to find. I use something like these at...
  7. J

Did you audition nc500 vs nc500mp or nc502"

I have read somewhere, quite some time ago, that Purifi is also in the process to design their own switching power supply instead of the Hypex SMPS1200A400 which has been used in their prototypes and is still used by most current buyers of the Purifi modules. Though the Hypex SMPS1200A400...
  8. J

Yamaha A-1 Vintage Amplifier Review

After some cleaning with an air compressor I started her up and here seems nothing seriously wrong with this 40 years old amp, except noisy potmeters which I will clean. I checked it with the also 40 years old Yamaha T-2 FM-tuner which is still working too. I don't have an antenna but a simple...
  9. J

Apollon Hypex NC2K Amplifier Teardown

I even have here in my living room a DIY subwoofer with a Hypex HS200 180W/8ohm plate amp (around year 2000 or so). That was before the UcD era so probably class AB. Don't know the brand of the caps ;) but the amp is still in good working condition. I use it for the subwoofer for my digital...
  10. J

Yeah, after cleaning the amp I will try that. Also, I have to go this route anyway because I did some research and the ALPS "Black Beauty" are rare now and ridiculously expensive (US50 to US$ 100 ore more) on ebay, even for a used one.
  11. J

Here a picture of the internals. A lot of dust but no corrosion, at least not visible through the layer of dust! I remember that I have replaced some bulbs 15 years ago. I also tried to replace the noisy ALPS potmeter but I could not find a good replacement through the local parts shop then. As...
  12. J

I just came across this topic about the Yamaha A-1. I inherited a black one, bought by my dad around 1980 or so. It's in my basement now for some 15 years. I don't know if it's in good working condition. Will try soon. Price was about 1700 Dutch guilders (about 800 euro) which was a lot those...
  13. J

Bruno Putzeys designed the forerunner of nCore, the UcD class modules, when working for Philips as a young designer. As far as I know Hypex bought the UcD patent from Philips first and then hired Putzeys who developed, as a then Hypex employer (not co-owner!) this into nCore. nCore is further...
  14. J

I have a lot of respect for that philosophy. However, in this case I follow an other approach. I have a 8 channel amp with 4 NCxxxMP units. I only use three of them for a 3 way active system. I suspect those units don't have the longevity of a typical class AB amp with a lineair power supply...
  15. J

That the MP series have a higher fail rate is more or less expected as they have the power supply integrated. It's a much more complex unit than the amp only units.
Top Bottom