Recent content by joentell

1. joentell

Audyssey's Next Generation of Room Correction (MultEQ-X)

I've been in that room when I visited and those "main" speakers have subwoofers connected to them. The "jacked up" bass is based on the natural response within the room. A lot of people use something similar to a Harman target which has a 9dB-10dB bass rise. One thing to know about how Audyssey...
  2. joentell

I've already made them aware that people don't like the idea of tying it to both a single person and a single serial number. I also am not for that. I would rather the license be tied to the serial number only so that if you buy it for a particular AVR, it would go with that AVR when you sell it...
  3. joentell

Ok, I can agree with most of what you said. This entire industry is niche. I thought we all knew that. I've told the Audyssey folks that they should rethink their licensing model. I hope they are watching these forum posts. Instead of saying the obvious, what do you propose they change?
  4. joentell

@jhaider You are correct that the MiniDSP 10x10 is a closer match than the DDRC88A. I want to be clear that I mentioned the 88A because that's what I personally came from. If you plan on applying PEQ to more than 10 channels, you will need an additional MiniDSP device.
  5. joentell

You aren't incorrect. But, what if you already own a Denon X4700H and you like it, but you have an itch for better room EQ. You might look into those alternatives from Onkyo, but you'll have to sell your AVR and buy a new one from Onkyo. If you don't want to go through the hassle of selling...
  6. joentell

I'm guessing it's a hardware limitation
  7. joentell

No. The PEQ is still applied to the summed response. You'll still need a MiniDSP to do indiv. filters on each sub. I'm assuming you want independent filters on subs to use something like MSO to minimize seat to seat variation. Is that correct?
  8. joentell

Disclosure: I beta tested MultEQ-X and I was able to use the program for free. I wasn't compensated otherwise. I'm planning on charging a fee for the courses. I may offer it as a service too, but I'm not sure. The courses (videos) are more about DSP tuning techniques. I was beta testing...
  9. joentell

ARE THERE ANY OTHER KLIPPEL USERS POSTING ON YT?

Erin, you and I talk all the time, but to let others in on what we talk about; I mostly do the measurements for myself. I do a "ghetto spinorama" to make sure that I'm somewhat in the ballpark when I'm reviewing a speaker and talking about it's characteristics. I listen also. I just share my...
  10. joentell

Monoprice Encore B6 Bookshelf Review (by Erin)

I've never heard of "throat termination" but it sounds like a serious condition. I do think it does have to do with the symmetry of the waveguide since a make-shift phase plug does make the problem go away. If I put the UMIK-1 up next to the tweeter less than an inch away on-axis, you see that...
  11. joentell

I think diffraction from the waveguide when the mic is placed directly on-axis to the tweeter. Simply blocking the center point with your thumb makes the dip flatten out. Moving the mic slightly off-axis greatly reduces the severity of the dip.
  12. joentell

Ok, it's really difficult to listen for what's missing, so I had to play the Encore B6 with another speaker that I know doesn't have a dip in that region, the Polk R200. I can kind of hear a difference in clarity on this track with lots of percussion instruments: O-Zone Percussion Group: Bamba...
  13. joentell

Funny. I'm playing pink noise between 8khz-10khz, and it sounds like the noise you'd expect from a bunch of crickets at night if you want an idea of what that range sounds like.
  14. joentell

What's your definition of near future? Black Friday and Cyber Monday just passed. I hope you're right, because I was planning on buying some more as height speakers to match my ear-level speakers. I don't think they will because I assume their margins are already lower than most in the industry...
Top Bottom