Recent content by joentell

1. joentell

MMM approach and a new calibration app (magic beans)

I would agree that timing and levels has more to do with immersion. Generally speaking, correcting speakers to have the same tonal balance can help with immersion if they are dissimilar. For example, if a constant sound pans around to other speakers and the tonality changes, it can take away...
  2. joentell

@Keith_W has a fully active 2.2 channel setup with lots of DSP and an atypical loudspeaker. It's one of the reasons I asked him to participate in the private beta testing.
  3. joentell

Get those KEF Blades 2 Metas we joked about. The directivity on those horns are crazy. You did a lot to fix the mismatch with your crossover changes though.
  4. joentell

@ernestcarl I've made some custom EQ for you if you would like to test it. PM.
  5. joentell

If you take a speaker that measures perfectly in an anechoic environment, and place it in a typical place, then the estimated in room response will likely match the response at the MLP. But what happens if you put that same speaker in a corner? It will have more bass from boundary gain. Do you...
  6. joentell

That's helpful. It's interesting that the high frequencies don't drop off much at your sofa.
  7. joentell

Can you take a NF MMM while it's at the couch position? What is the 0 and 90? The mic calibrations?
  8. joentell

It flattens NF to a certain extent. There might be instances where it doesn't try to flatten the NF response. I'll have to do more testing to specifically when it does/doesn't.
  9. joentell

I do not think a NF MMM is equivalent to an anechoic on-axis response. I think a NF MMM is somewhere between a listening window measurement and an early reflections measurement depending on how far back the measurement needs to be and how much room interaction there is.
  10. joentell

Will do. I have confidence that the method is correct. I had plans on competing in a shootout where I would put my method up against the popular room correction software. I wanted people to vote on the one they thought did the best job. The people throwing the event didn't like the idea that it...
  11. joentell

I think a safe method would be to measure the distance between the bottom of the lowest woofer to the top of the highest radiating surface. If the top is a horn, it should be measured there. Use 1X that distance away to do the MMM, and start with an N pattern starting 30° to the left of center...
  12. joentell

Thank you for taking the time to do this.
  13. joentell

What an honor to have you chime in! For the subs, we use an average of the room response from the other speakers as a target response for the subs. The idea is to augment the sound while retaining the natural tonality of the speakers played in that room (room effects included.) For the...
  14. joentell

I don’t care what anyone says, that’s a cool looking speaker! I especially think that plasma tweeter looks crazy cool! But maybe there’s something to the idea that there are speakers that are too large for the room. Maybe the large horns do require listening from a further distance. I...
  15. joentell

I find your speaker fascinating. I would really like to get an idea of the directivity index on that. The idea behind not over correcting with DSP is that we don’t correct what is not correctable, for example, if there’s a directivity mismatch. It seems to me that what’s considered NF for the...
Top Bottom