Recent content by Joel Foust

1. J

Audio stutters with USB Dacs on Macbook M1 Pro

Just another datapoint. I have a M1 Max with 32 GB ram. I use this for audio production and even run live shows real time processing plugins on 32 channels with low latency RME interfaces (UFX III and Digiface USB). I have never had issues with stutters on this machine in any context; even...
  2. J

Linkwitz LX521.4 - new build and impressions

The rear radiation of the LX521's (or any full dipole speaker) causes cancellations at the side and rear radiation of all frequencies. When the wavelength the driver is transmitting doesn't go beyond the baffle things get a little funny but that's part of the why LX521 has that funky shaped...
  3. J

I'll take a stab at answering your question regarding polar response summarizing what I *remember* Linkwitz stating.... So a speaker radiates into 3 dimensional space. Typically when you look at studio monitor response or speaker response in general you see the on axis response which is not...
  4. J

Hmmm... I'm not sure I agree with Linkwitz's assertion that these are good monitors. I'd say they are great as another monitoring source, especially when evaluating soundstage... The DSP or ASP is the crossover so you will always have this in place. I've NEVER seen anechoic or quasi...
  5. J

So I’ve only had it about a week so no expert in it yet. It is very car oriented but yes it has crossover capability with selectable filter type and slopes. It has 30 bands of PEQ per channel except last few channels have less, phase adjustment and some sort of dynamic EQ to compensate for car...
  6. J

So I totally agree that EQ is necessary. Until I purchased my first RME ADI-2 I felt like any component offering EQ degraded sound quality and imaging. The ADI-2 changed that view and have been using its EQ ever sense, even on the LX521’s depending on type of music. Not a plug yet as its...
  7. J

Troels Gravesen’s “The Loudspeaker” TL-1. It’s not like huge horn or single driver kind of high efficiency but with a Hypex amp on the woofer it gets plenty loud on the top half with just a handful of watts. I go back and forth between a 300b amp (TU-8600R) and a Pass designed Aleph-j...
  8. J

Just an additional review. I’ve owned both the Orions and LX521’s. The LX521’s were way better to my ears. I started with the passive mid-tweeter crossover ASP.3, then tried miniDSP, then built the ASP.4 with through hole components finally returning to the ASP.3. I know some will think it’s...
Top Bottom