Recent content by JJ2106

1. JJ2106

Survey:What kind of products do you want in 2019?From S.M.S.L

Sorry I 'm late, very late! I dream of the cosmetics and functionality of a Schiit Magni 3, with: - the performance of the JDS Labs Atom; - a front panel switch to select headphone or pre-amp out. Simple, no?
  2. JJ2106

Review and Measurements of Topping A30 and Schiit Magni 3 Headphone Amps

This is true. I think, however, that the Magni 3 suffers from its very high gain (x7). Given a standard 2 V input, this corresponds to 327 mW of power into 600 Ohm. For reference, my favourite Beyerdynamics support a maximum of 100 mW for a 116 dB SPL level. I doubt many users need to set the...
  3. JJ2106

Study: Headphone Amp Gains: Low or High?

Yes, if you also quote the output voltage.
  4. JJ2106

I do agree, but I think it's important to compare apples with apples, which means using the same output voltage ie the same power in the same load. The amp with the lowest efficiency should be driven to its maximum output before clipping, and the input voltage of the higher efficiency one set...
  5. JJ2106

Talking about gain, could @amirm please publish the voltage gains (Vo/Vi) for the tested amps. This is an important figure. As I mentioned in another thread, I was initially sure lo gain was unity on all amps. This is not the case. For example, the Schiit Magni 3 as a lo gain of x1.4 (3dB)...
  6. JJ2106

I must slightly modify my calcs. Schiit support told me that lo gain on the Magni 3 was x1.4 (3dB), whilst I thought it was unity. So, the power into 80 Ohm phones will be: (2.1*1.4142)^2/80 = 110 mW. Perfect for the Beyers! FYI, hi gain is x7 (17 dB), unnecessarily high in my opinion. So, I...
  7. JJ2106

Hi Veri, I am happy to acknowledge the superiority of the Atom with regard to measurements, but I will never buy it because of its plastic package. Plus, it is more expensive (170€ plus carriage vs 125€ plus carriage for the Magni 3 from schiit europe (a Dutch company). JDS are obviously not...
  8. JJ2106

@amirm I can see you are not fond of Schiit products (this is an understatement). Yet, I have decided to buy the Magni 3, not because of its high power, but because: - it is the best deal I can find here in France; - it does not have a silly plastic package; - its output impedance is very low; -...
  9. JJ2106

An interesting read from someone from Apogee

I'm awfully sorry that my comment about the values of 2**16 and 2**24 elicited this discussion (which may nonetheless be useful to some). I only meant to correct Roger's statement that 16 bit samples give about 16,000 values and 24 bit about 600,000 values. I couldn't figure out where those...
  10. JJ2106

An interesting read from someone from Apogee

If I' m correct (!) 2**16=65,536, and 2**24=16,777,216 This is the voltage resolution of 16bit and 24bit samples respectively.
  11. JJ2106

Which DAC measurements do you like to see next?

No idea, to be honest with you. Amirm may know.
  12. JJ2106

Which DAC measurements do you like to see next?

Somebody, some time last year, suggested a (comparative) test of the Cambridge DacMagic XS. I know this isn't a recent device, but its published specs are still attractive, especially now that the price has gone down (80€ here in France). So, I vote for that one. Thanks.
  13. JJ2106

A bit about your host....

Back in the 1980s, we had IBM's OS/VS1 and OS/VS2 (later MVS); that was serious software...
  14. JJ2106

Room Measurement Tutorial for Dummies Part 1

@Amir, Are you still working on Part 3, or have you just ditched the idea? Kind regards, J-J
Top Bottom