Recent content by jitl

1. jitl

A Call For Humor!

2. jitl

After major disappointment with audio of ARCAM Sr-250 AVR, & similar disappointments reading terrible measurements on AVRs, what do I turn to for TV s

You shouldn't have to worry about electrical noise or distortion from the cheap HDMI switch, like you might worry about hearing an analog component's power supply noise. But HDMI is a complex technology and I don't understand it enough to say for sure. I suggest giving this article by Amir a...
  3. jitl

Sony STR-DH590 quotes 145W per channel - what do you think?

I just ordered the shArc 1 HDMI to audio converter from here: https://www.thenaudio.com/product/sharc-earc-audio-converter/ They responded very quickly to my emails with questions, and offered to optimize the firmware for analog output specifically if I wasn't going to use the HDMI audio output.
  4. jitl

Bookshelves with better below-axis vertical directivity than KEF's around $2000?

I’ll add the KH80 and Kali to my list. I initially discounted powered monitors after looking over Genelec’s since I couldn’t figure out how to get HDMI-ARC to volume-control digital XLR audio. But the two you listed have some analog input which I could conceivably produce through a series of...
  5. jitl

Bookshelves with better below-axis vertical directivity than KEF's around $2000?

Maybe they should re-release it as the Technics SB-C700 Meta?
  6. jitl

Yeesh! That's a scary story. Were you driving other speakers at the time (the full 5.1?) with the ADH790, or just the KEFs? Yeah, the STR-DH590 is off of my list, for sure. I'm also new to hifi so the last few weeks have been a rabbit hole of research. I've been trying to figure out how to...
  7. jitl

I'm looking for a pair of bookshelf speakers with good vertical directivity. The offerings from KEF (first the LS50 Meta, and also the KEF R3) are at the top of my list, and are well-covered in other threads like the 22-pager here...
  8. jitl

HDMI Multichannel extractors

I have a few questions about the Evolve II-4k. In my initial read over the unit, I dismissed it because it doesn't mention ARC (audio return channel) or CEC (volume control signals) other than CEC bypass. The thing that's most confusing about this space when evaluating a device is wondering...
  9. jitl

HDMI Multichannel extractors

I’m new, but this is also a goal I share — the quest to build an AVR from separates! Are you trying to use the HDMI ARC feature from your TV, or just send normal HDMI video+audio+control straight into the extractor? The various control-over-HDMI features are called HDMI-CEC. I’ve been...
  10. jitl

HDMI Tv pass through to AV receiver

ARC stands for "audio return channel"; it's not passing a video signal back to the receiver.
  11. jitl

This is an interesting take. I see elsewhere on the site people suggesting that >$600 on amps and such is quickly hitting diminishing returns. I'd say my budget is about $3000 all-in, which I was trying to spend the most on speakers (kef R3), with enough left over to get a reasonable DAC & AMP...
  12. jitl

Thanks, that's very helpful. I had a suspicion that was the case, but I wanted some confirmation before I decided to go upmarket.
  13. jitl

Hello, I'm looking to put together a minimal, TV-driven 2.0 setup, with the possibility to upgrade towards 3.1 if budget and desire allow. My primary factor is that I want to control my speaker volume with my Apple TV remote -- and I'd like to drive speakers like the Kef R3, which want power. I...
Top Bottom