Recent content by JimWeir

1. J

Topping D70 Pro Sabre DAC Review

Bluetooth with the current available codecs is comparable if not exceeds LP fidelity. And definitely better than FM.
  2. J

Outlaw 2220 Review (Monoblock Amplifier)

It’s probably 120Hz Triboelectric vibration.
  3. J

Unusual Speaker Designs

With separate inputs, perhaps they are designed for an active crossover and biamping.
  4. J

JBL 708P Review (Professional Monitor)

Note that the brain doesn’t decode the maximum dynamics. Media like LP and Tape FM radio forced a limit on crest factor (the peak to RMS ratio. But even the essentially unlimited range of digital media has practical limiting used. Film and Broadcast industries have set the RMS loudness level...
  5. J

Behringer DCX2496 EQ Review

I’ve used this device for years to sort out loudspeaker EQ and crossovers in my DYI projects.
  6. J

Crown Xti4002 Pro Stereo Amplifier Review

I have been using my crown XTI 2000 amplifiers in my mean system to power my very inefficient magnepan MMG’s’s‘s for 15 years. I’ve been able to pull a measured peak voltage equivalent to over 1 kW at the input terminals to my loudspeaker. Producing a peak, sound pressure level of over 111 dB...
  7. J

Music: how loud is loud? (video)

And momentary asymmetrical (+/- V not left right) clipping (the most common kind - produces DC offset at the speaker terminal moving the DC coupled woofer in or out of it magnetic gap is a way the is not related to the signal passing through the woofer - generating distortion anomalies in its...
  8. J

Yes live sound from ordinary events are more dynamic than any recorded music. Thank goodness, due to the perceptual limitations in human hearing we don’t have to maintain the natural dynamics of a snare drum to have the recorded signal sound like a snare drum. The film and broadcast industry...
  9. J

Yes live sound from ordinary events are more dynamic than any recorded music. Thank goodness, due to the perceptual limitations in human hearing we don’t have to maintain the natural dynamics of a snare drum to have the recorded signal sound like a snare drum. The film and broadcast industry...
  10. J

That is the instantaneous highest C-weighted peak maximum for the 13 second measurement. The loudest RMS C fast level during that period was 109dB. That is a pretty loud level. But not unbelievable as Steve Gadd was cranking on the drums piped through the PA. My floor seats were in line with...
  11. J

A screen shot from a concert a week ago The concert? James Taylor. This is the NIOSH SLM app for iPhone
  12. J

Nordost Blue Heaven AC Cord Review

So the underwriting question is why do Manet audiophiles swear by AC power conditioners “dramatically” improving “the sound” of their systems. Stereophonic reproduction can be broken into three stages. The last stage is the Psychoacoustics. Stereophonic reproduction is an inherently flawed...
  13. J

Topping D70 Pro Sabre DAC Review

My RME ADI-2 adds all kinds of useful features: EQ, Loudness, Bass&Treble & Mode (stereo, Mono Left,Right Reverse. All in digital (software). I love it.
Top Bottom