Recent content by Jim in Florida

1. J

Audyssey Room EQ Review

I have Roon as a source. There is a room correction APP --- "REW" which aids in Room correction with a calibrated mike. You can actually bypass the receiver and go directly from the DAC to the amps if you want.
  2. J

Audyssey Room EQ Review

My concern was not noise but loss of source in the conversions. My DAC cost almost as much as my AVR receiver.
  3. J

Audyssey Room EQ Review

Just had one of those "Twilight Zone moments" The current issue of Sound & Vision Q&A has a question from a guy with the same receiver I have (Marantz 6013) and he asks if the output of his DAC is converted to digital and back to analog (he's considering Tidal and an external DAC). Identical...
  4. J

Audyssey Room EQ Review

Yep...I just ordered the mike. They've gone up in proce. Also, I pushed a button and bypassed the Audyssey equalizer. I thought I had new speakers. What a difference!!!
  5. J

Audyssey Room EQ Review

I thought so. I guess I'll invest the $100 I wonder if I can use the calibrated mike that came with the Marantz. I also have a $300 mike from my camera and both are not USB but mini rca
  6. J

Tidal Family and Individual Subscriptions

Also...next year's renewal is a good prices as well - $119 for individual HiFi or abou $10/mo (normally $20/m0)
  7. J

Tidal Family and Individual Subscriptions

I just stumbled on this. Best Buy is offering Tidal subscriptions for half price if you buy through them for a year. For example, a year of HiFi is only $99 and a family plan HiFi is $180. The non HiFI (Premium) is ony $69/yr THE BAD NEWS is you have to start a new account...you can't use...
  8. J

Marantz SR8015 Review (Home Theater AVR)

I have the Marantz 8013 and had a similar incident.....and not easy to fix. I had to do a power on/off and facotry reset. I wasn't doing a stress test....just listening to the radio. Luckily Marantz has a USB backup for settings and I was able to restore eveything.
  9. J

MQA Deep Dive - I published music on tidal to test MQA

I just played this Classical tract on Amazon Hi Res, Tidal MQA through Roon, and DSD through JRiver on a Gustard X16 MQA DAC. I gave up trying to play MQA without Roon. The Amazon and DSD sounded similar. Roon / MQA actually sounded better, The orchestra and violins especially weren't...
  10. J

Gustard X16 Balanced MQA DAC Review

When I step through the various inputs....if the input isn't used the display reads UNLOCK. Unlock what? Is that a Chinese to English useage error? I can't find UNLOCK in the manual.
  11. J

I suspected that was the case with some of the earlier complaints.
  12. J

I can't for the life of me get the bluetooth antenna screwed on. Anybody have a similar problem? The plastic turn ferrel is extremely stiff to turn and instead, I just tried twirling the entire antenna but no dice.....it just will not go on. UPDATE: After many, many tries.....I got it on...
  13. J

Headphone amp with build-in EQ?

My Marantz receiver has an headphone equalizer (seperate from the floor speaker Audyssey adjustments) - and I am delaying a purchase of a seperate balanced (but not equalized) HP amp as I suspect the difference to be slight but I won't know unless I try. As I am typing this, it dawned on me...
  14. J

Gustard X16 vs SMSL SU-9

Interesting.....I had just narrowed it down to the 789 as I thought the H16 amp reviews were lukewarm......Interested in why you say that.
  15. J

Gustard X16 vs SMSL SU-9

Anyone have a recommendation for a balanced amp (in and out) for the X16??
Top Bottom