Recent content by Jglr

1. J

So, what are recommendable amps below 200$?

I recently received an Onkyo a9110. I can't speak with any authority about it's quality, but it sounds much better than the Hifiberry Amp2 card it replaced. I have seen refurbished units below $200. Currently, Newegg is throwing in a $150 gift card. So, if you need something else that they carry...
  2. J

Best way to connect a subwoofer for music listening

I connected a little amp and a speaker. The sub out is just a mono pre-out with no filtering.
  3. J

I couldn't hear high frequencies, as the sub has its own crossover. If the sub's crossover was set to 140 hz and I played a 140 hz (or even somewhat higher) I could hear it through the sub. I can only imagine that if this amp was filtering the signal through the sub out it would happen lower...
  4. J

As far as I can tell, the amp seems to output the same amount of bass to the main speakers in direct mode when the sub out is on or off.
  5. J

If I understand you, you're saying that if the amp isn't filtering out bass to my main speakers, it would be better to run speaker wires from the amp to the sub and from the sub to the main speakers. This is to allow the sub to filter out the bass going to my main speakers? According to the...
  6. J

I disconnected all of my speakers but the sub and ran test tones generated on my phone. The sub out doesn't appear to do any filtering. Mystery solved.
  7. J

That's why I posted my question to this forum. This seems like a rational crowd. It's disappointing how much advice is given regarding HiFi that is completely based on speculative opinion. Reviews and comparisons of technology should read more like computer benchmarks than wine spectator.
  8. J

I actually used that tool when I hooked up my old amp. I'm not confused about what frequency to set my crossover to if I'm setting the frequency on the sub. I'm unclear about whether the amp I have will filter out the high frequencies before they go to the sub. Also, those are the recommended...
  9. J

I was thinking the same thing. Is it better to use the crossover on the sub? Also, could I test to see if the subwoofer out is bass only by raising it's crossover to 40hz and playing a higher frequency tone through the system? Presumably, if it plays to the amp is sending the whole signal.
  10. J

Thanks everyone for the helpful advice. It seems practical to use the subwoofer out. I am a little confused about where the signal crossover should be controlled in my setup. I do have a crossover control on the subwoofer, but it is unclear to me whether my amp will only send low frequencies to...
  11. J

My amp is an Onkyo A9110 stereo amp. It doesn't have room correction or an option to specify the size of my speakers.
  12. J

Here's where I saw it originally. He goes into more detail:
  13. J

I think I may have seen it elsewhere, but he begins discussing it at about 5:35 of this video:
  14. J

I have a pair of bookshelf speakers and a subwoofer. Currently, I have the sub wired to an amp via high-in connections and out from the sub to my bookshelf speakers. Paul McGowan of PS Audio says that this is the best way of connecting everything for music, as it keeps the sub in phase with the...
Top Bottom