Recent content by JEntwistle

1. J

PS Audio Talking Smack About Amirm

100% agree. The train has left the station. If PS wants to rely on subjective measurements, they are catering to a dwindling market in the long run. They would be better served by either publishing their data or explaining what they think a specific measurement means, rather than rejecting...
  2. J

Sony NW-A105 Digital Audio Player Review

Well, it's the marketing right? These purpose-built devices are supposed to have superior signal processing and sound quality. If you weren't on this site, you probably wouldn't even know a humble, older generation phone would outperform most DAPs in that regard.
  3. J

I really appreciate this review and the comments in this thread. I have been really confused over what are the supposed differences among the differently priced Walkmans. And now that I've joined ASR, I question the DAP segment in general. I own the A45 as well as a set of the Sony WH-1000XM3...
  4. J

Anyone else just not bothered by home theatre?

Sometimes I want background music while I do other things, but sometimes I do enjoy "just sitting there listening"! It is the magic and conundrum of stereo - I can't explain why I care about 2.0 music but don't care about surround sound audio for TV viewing, but that is the case.
  5. J

I agree with this, and it is a problem. I should have said that I lost interest in all the bells and whistles and just want to hear things, not have the full immersion offered with surround systems. I have a Yamaha sound bar - the one that is deep enough so you put your TV on top of it - that...
  6. J

Also 2.0 all the way. Funny, I was just thinking about this topic. When I was younger I had visions of fancy theater rooms and whatever x.x sound setup was the latest at the time. Somehow I just outgrew it and lost interest - just let me hear the dialogue and I’m good. But stereo music...
  7. J

what does the sine wave show?

This is a fantastic, simplified explanation. Thank you. One more question: I don't see in the sine wave graph an indication of what frequency is being generated. I guess if you eyeball a full cycle, you can see the time interval is 1 millisecond, but that is not marked on the chart. is...
  8. J

FYI, I have the lower end model (NW-A45), and it can be used as a USB DAC. There is a setting called "USB DAC Settings" (edit: I looked in the user manual, and the USB DAC functionality is described; you access through the Library icon. I only tried it out once, so have forgotten how it...
  9. J

Current DIY Projects with Professional Measurements Available.

The Neurochrome HP-2 headphone amp is on my list. This is the successor to the HP-1, which Amir has reviewed. I have not gotten around to it yet; in fact, it would be my first DIY headphone amp, so I am practicing on some easier and less expensive things for now. If you do decide to build...
  10. J

Review and Measurements of Bluesound NODE 2i Streamer

I don't have a Chromecast, but it seems like it is clunkier to use than Bluesound if you don't have something like Roon set up. Also, the Chromecast audio is not being made anymore?
  11. J

Review and Measurements of Bluesound NODE 2i Streamer

Agree with you both, and this is exactly why I wish Bluesound would make a streamer-only box. Unless you want to set up a separate Roon or other server next to your DAC, I think Bluesound has the best all-in-one streaming solution on the market.
  12. J

General question about ASR Reviews

I will refer you this thread from about a week ago. A lot of people seem to have the panthers on their minds! https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/asr-panthers.11541/
  13. J

How to Evaluate Amp in DAC/Headphone Amp Review?

I agree. For me, the usefulness of the big charts is in narrowing down the set of products you might be interested in. I wouldn't suggest anyone use them as the only selection criteria, but they are good in getting a lay of the land of what's out there.
  14. J

OK, I will wait to see the interactive measurements. What you have created so far is great, BTW. My other question is whether the lack of separate dashboard or SNR measurement of the headphone section is a technical issue, or just data that was not a focus of measurement at the time. Thanks!
  15. J

Yes, I'm looking at signal-to-noise. My question is basically how much you might be giving up in performance by getting an integrated DAC/headphone amp vs. separate components (putting aside realistic audibility considerations); e.g.: Topping DX7 Pro vs. a separate DAC + JDS Atom. In...
Top Bottom