Recent content by JeffS7444

1. JeffS7444

Is EQ'ing headphones worth it?

Not necessarily. Sean Olive's research found little correlation between price and sound quality. https://seanolive.blogspot.com/2017/02/twirt-337-predicting-headphone-sound_17.html
  2. JeffS7444

A lot of us are using measurement tools which are less than reference-grade (think $60 measurement mics) to achieve meaningful improvements in sound quality. I see that someone's got a used Bruel & Kjaer 4128-D-001 listed on eBay at 27,500 USD: That's beyond the scope of most home hobbyists...
  3. JeffS7444

I generated the correction files with the aid of Room EQ Wizard and this headphone measurement device from MiniDSP: https://www.minidsp.com/products/acoustic-measurement/ears-headphone-jig
  4. JeffS7444

I've been really pleased with headphones and IEMs eq'd to more closely conform to this target response: https://www.innerfidelity.com/content/harman-tweaks-its-headphone-target-response
  5. JeffS7444

What electronic audio products you want tested most

Pimoroni Pirate Audio products for Raspberry Pi.
  6. JeffS7444

What makes all this worth it?

And this track sounds mighty fine on my main system (yes, this very YouTube track):
  7. JeffS7444

Or for something with a beat, "Volar" by Alvaro Soler:
  8. JeffS7444

It's not necessarily the sheer fidelity as the delight in discovering something completely unexpected, like the old days of hearing a stirring piece on Radio Pyongyang via shortwave (you can just picture those beaming workers striding confidently into a glorious future, trampling the...
  9. JeffS7444

Ditch the CD transport and go with computer?

Neither can you listen to it all, since that's the better part of a decade's worth of non-stop sound.
  10. JeffS7444

I still want a 1U rackmount media player for those occasions when I bring home CDs from the library or new ones arrive, and I want to listen immediately on the main system. And I really don't need to become a digital packrat: Some things are good for a play or two, if that. Regarding...
  11. JeffS7444

I will say this in favor of physical media: The very hassle of it meant that I had less music overall, and tended to know the nearest dozen or so albums really well from start to finish. The endless-playlist approach of subscription streaming services is fine for background noise but I think it...
  12. JeffS7444

The platform decision is pretty trivial: Ripping the CDs and tidying up FLAC tags (and FLAC is fine file format to choose) and album artwork is the bulk of the work, but you don't need to redo any of this if you change platforms. I've changed my own mind several times: Sometimes I just don't...
  13. JeffS7444

Cost certainly isn't an issue these days, given that a fine digital front end can be built around a Raspberry Pi! If you have any OCD tendencies, PC audio can be it's own rabbit hole, particularly in regards to FLAC tags and album cover art. Quality of track and album info drawn from online...
  14. JeffS7444

Please buy safe audio gear

Aside from ATI, does anyone offer Hypex or Purifi-based amplifiers in safety-certified housings? Ghent Audio product photos show a grounding point on the lower case housing, but it doesn't appear that the rest of the housing is tied to earth, at least I see no indication that the anodizing has...
  15. JeffS7444

Not sure how to do this: is, e.g., the Dayton Audio DTA30HP 30W Class D Mini Amplifier a viable review target

You can get a clue of what the amp might be capable of (if well-implemented) by checking out the datasheet on the Texas Instruments amplifier chip it's based on: http://www.ti.com/product/TPA3116D2 I might have the very same chip in my Topping VX3, and I like that amp: It's well-behaved, causes...
Top Bottom