Recent content by JeffS7444

1. JeffS7444

Uncoloured phono cartridges

Thanks, I've just placed my order for that LP. I don't expect to be dealing with a wide variety of thicknesses: Unlikely I'll encounter Soundsheets anymore, and unless there's something really special about the way it's packaged, I don't see myself buying premium-priced vinyl if there's a good...
  2. JeffS7444

So far in my casual search for a cart (MM or MC) with nude-mounted, line contact sylus, the lowest-cost options that I've found so far seem to be: Audio Technica VM540ML @ 249 USD Audio Technica VM740ML @ 329 USD Ortofon 2M Bronze @ 440 USD Are there any others that I may have missed? I was...
  3. JeffS7444

Thread closures and controversy versus reality. Spoiler [Fact on the ropes]

Somewhat off-topic, I found the Netflix documentary "The Social Dilemma" most interesting, as it suggests that the very sorts of techniques used by social media companies to keep users engaged may be a major cause of the fake news phenomenon, by feeding users a stream of media judged likely to...
  4. JeffS7444

Normal people got rid of their turntables in the 1980s.
  5. JeffS7444

Headphone Upgrade Path: Electrostatic vs Dynamic vs Planar

Sometimes, one of the harder things to do in the audio hobby is to spend only what's required, even though your budget allows for much, much more. I used to own Stax electrostatics (worked at a Stax dealer part time in college). Today I own planar dynamics (Fostex) and an older version of...
  6. JeffS7444

Some Names for Speakers

金のうんこ ("Golden Poo") https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kin_no_unko
  7. JeffS7444

PS Audio Stellar M1200: tube + class D amplifier

Nothing particularly interesting to learn here, I think.
  8. JeffS7444

Vintage Speakers Worth Owning Today?

Never got to hear them but would be intrigued by designs aimed at less-directional sound like those of Sonab and Shahinian.
  9. JeffS7444

Best low budget 8 "subwoofer

This one interests me: Class D amplifier with DSP, XLR/TRS input, XLR output and compact size: https://www.parts-express.com/powered-dayton-audio-reference-8-250-watt-compact-subwoofer-kit-with-built-in-dsp--300-7150
  10. JeffS7444

FM & AM Radio Tuner

For what it's worth, the HDradio format has been reverse-engineered, and so long as you have the proper codec installed on your computer, there's no reason why you couldn't use a software defined radio here too: You can certainly see the digital channels on the sidebands of the main broadcast...
  11. JeffS7444

Interesting, wonder if it could have deteriorated with age?
  12. JeffS7444

"Back in the day", I wish I had tried Micro Acoustics's piezo cartridges as they would seem to solve a lot of problems regarding cartridge loading: http://roger-russell.com/sonopg/micropg.htm And they could be had for a good deal less money than Sao Win's strain gauge cartridge. A word to the...
  13. JeffS7444

Has the headphone stuff (headfi) becoming ridiculously expensive?

Only if it sounds more real than reality itself.
  14. JeffS7444

Has the headphone stuff (headfi) becoming ridiculously expensive?

No, no one on ASR as behaved like a butt-head to me, at least no one that matters!
  15. JeffS7444

Thanks for the warning; I've sent an inquiry directly to Dr. Feickert.
Top Bottom