Recent content by jdhiro

1. J

New Emotiva DAC, how will it test?

Please, continue making jokes at my expense. The point simply is that I spent at least 2 weeks with each of those DACs and ultimately did not enjoy listening to either of them enough to keep them. I totally get that there are other factors, and they are generally well designed DACs.
  2. J

I’m not talking about issues with bass or treble control. Both DACs sounded lifeless to me. This was paired with a Purifi amp and Bowers 804 D3 speakers. Agreed with the above comment on the design. Also, which other DAC offers eARC input short of Matrix Audio?
  3. J

I feel like I'll probably get flamed for this, but I bought both the RME2 and Topping D90 DACs (which are heralded as the standard bearers around here) and was ultimately disappointed with the listening experience of both (although they were both ultra "clean" in the sterile sense). I wouldn't...
  4. J

Emotiva XPA-DR2 Review (Stereo Power Amplifier)

One more thing to add about the Emotive XPA-DR2. This thing is $1,700, and if you hold out for sales/incentives you can get a few hundred dollars off that. For a fully assembled, high quality, full-fat, class A/B amp... this thing is an unbeatable bargain. Even though I'm critically comparing...
  5. J

I’ll try this again later running off my laptop.
  6. J

I experience some hiss with my old Emotiva XPA-5 Gen1, but this XPA DR-2 is almost dead silent.
  7. J

Thanks for asking. I've done some more back-to-backs before responding to this. First off, here is my comparison equipment: - Bowers & Wilkins 804 D3 - Emotiva RMC-1L source, in Reference Stereo Mode - Emotiva DR-2 vs Apollon 1ET400A Mini (Purifi stereo setup) - AppleTV w/ Apple Music running...
  8. J

I own the same amp, and I have to say that my subjective experience matches the test results. I've recently been comparing it back-to-back with an Apollon Purifi Stereo Mini, and they couldn't be more different. The DR-2s power gives so much body, SLAM, and really helps you feel things like...
  9. J

Review and Measurements of Purifi 1ET400A Amplifier

I am curious, did you ever compare your NC2K side by side with lesser Hypex, and if so, did you notice a headroom difference?
  10. J

This is interesting, but I was hoping for something more similar to the NC2K for driving my mains.
  11. J

Absolutely an option - part of the reason I went with the stereo option is the ability to pick up a 2nd to biamp. Ah HA! Found it, thank you!
  12. J

Woohoo! After a two month wait, my Apollon Purifi Stereo Mini showed up today. Here are my thoughts after a hour or two of play. The Experience As I've mentioned before, I had to wait quite a bit longer than expected. The package was "stuck in customs" for a long time, but that's confusing to...
  13. J

This is my primary motivator. I'm concerned that the standard 1ET400A doesn't quite provide enough juice to drive my B&W 804s to their full potential at high volumes.
  14. J

Thanks! Where can I get more information on this? What kind of power ratings can be expected in bridged mode? Purifi has said their modules aren't designed to be bridged - what makes it OK in this application? Have these questions all been asked somewhere else where I can find them? :D
Top Bottom