Recent content by JD_Spoon

1. J

KEF Reference 4C Review (Center Speaker)

IIRC, I got the best results with my room and subs with my crossover set at 70Hz.
  2. J

I'm not in a position to measure, but my recollection is that it's 3/4" oak boards, with 3/4" oak plywood base. I don't know the specifics on the joining for the caps, as they were built for me by a friend who works in a woodworking shop.
  3. J

Legacy Wavelet Attempted Review (Speaker Processor)

So I did want to post a quick update on this particular unit. I reached out to Legacy Audio regarding the review and testing results here. Their customer service rep had me confirm a few details about the unit, including the serial number, long-past warranty expiration build date, and the fact...
  4. J

Usually, I think they just end up reselling it to people who don't know about or don't care about objective testing results. Not that I'm speaking from experience or anything like that. ;)
  5. J

Okay, so I've mostly been hanging my head in shame and not waiting to actually contribute to the conversation or admit ownership of it for how bad this thing tested, but seriously, my room's not *that* bad. :cool: For a little context, I bought this particular Wavelet unit used because it...
  6. J

From my own subjective listening perspective, while the Q family is generally of good quality for its price point, there were substantial differences between the clarity and overall sound of the Q950 and the R11 towers. The latter offered much higher overall sound quality across the spectrum of...
  7. J

In case anyone is interested, I just this morning got some pictures of the finished construction, pre-stain/lacquer stands that are being constructed to support my Reference 4c L/R speaker pair. They're constructed to permit filling the base with dampening material and set with mounting...
  8. J

Why would I need to? As far as I can measure, their drivers are in the exact same orientation and spacing as the Reference 5's arrangement in that configuration. The only difference is the vertical height, and that's what the stands are for.
  9. J

Because a pair of the centers stood on end option cost significantly less than the towers. This is true even if you factor in getting some custom stands manufactured to get them angled correctly & elevated off the floor, as I have.
  10. J

I'm no expert here, but I'd have thought you'd want to have a matching or bigger-sized woofer on the center, but its speaker body might not need to be as physically large as the L/R pair. This is true with the Reference 5/4c pair, and similar to how the Revel Salon2 and Voice2 have 8" drivers...
  11. J

Even more so when you consider that it's possible to get them for $5250 a speaker, rather than $7500. Assuming you're willing to accept the finish option and the possibility that what you're getting may be B-stock.
  12. J

So as someone who sank their money into a moderately high-end approach, I feel obliged to respond. Let me first say I have no disrespect for the DIY crowd. Quite the opposite, I'm frequently very impressed with the quality of work a passionately motivated individual can produce in their own...
  13. J

The Reference 5 is 10" taller than the Reference 4c is wide, 12" if you add the plinth & feet. Otherwise, their dimensions are identical.
Top Bottom