Recent content by Jbrunwa

1. Jbrunwa

Coffee - do you and how do you consume it?

Just bought a Decent DE1XL espresso maker after 20+ years using a Pasquini Livia 90. Talk about a 180 degree different approach . Will be interesting to experiment changing the extraction parameters.
  2. Jbrunwa

Upmixing - where are we at? Have people compared upmixers?

AFAIK not with Dolby, but on the AV40 with Auro-3D you can set room size (small, medium, large) and strength (1-16). I have no experience withthe Sony, Sennheiser, or other 360 sound processing
  3. Jbrunwa

I like Auro a little better than PLii, mainly because of the finer grained control of small, medium, large options in combination with a variable strength parameter that i can dial for my preference.
  4. Jbrunwa

I can’t do simultaneous as I have PLii in a 5.1 system at one location and DSU in a 5.1.4 system at another. I like PLii better. The panorama/music mode in particular sounds better to me. Much better use and blending of sound. If I didn’t also have Auro3-d I would seriously consider another used...
  5. Jbrunwa

JBL SDP-55 Audio/Video Processor Review

I have AV40 with XLR to Buckeye 6 channel NC502MP amps and Revel Be fronts with no audible noise. In theory this should be the same as JBL, but perhaps not in practice. There was originally a mute/unmute pop that was fixed when I returned the AV40 for the HDMI 2.1 upgrade. However IIRC there is...
  6. Jbrunwa

New Apple Music App for Classical

Yes. Just now playing Mahler Symphony No. 9 by Vienna Phil on Apple Music in Atmos on Apple TV EDIT: BTW, Apple Music aside, the Berlin Phil digital orchestra subscription is wonderful on Apple TV through our HT
  7. Jbrunwa

New Apple Music App for Classical

But if you search in the app using the metadata, you can add it to your library. Then it appears in Apple Music, and if you have library sync enabled, won’t that show up in Apple TV?
  8. Jbrunwa

Why are AVRs and AVPs so expensive?

In our vacation home we just set up Apple TV and other HDMI sources to TCL TV and TCL TV toslink output to an old B&K Reference 50 AVP with 5.1 amps and speakers. Atmos auto decodes to LPCM Dolby Digital 5.1, and stereo to PL ii. After setting speaker distances, levels, and crossovers, It sounds...
  9. Jbrunwa

I could be wrong but I believe that Arcam/JBL and Anthem use not just the same HDMI chips but also the exact same HDMI 2.1 circuit board.
  10. Jbrunwa

Consolidation has reduced competition in the market. There are only a few core platforms from which many different brands are designed. There are only a few independent designs. All the rest are just customizations of the OEM board.
  11. Jbrunwa

There’s a lot of extra features that could be dropped if marketing would allow. Eliminating video switching could bring down cost and likely improve audio performance. My TV’s already have 4 HDMI inputs and one with eARC. Even my $265 TCL Roku TV has them. So I don’t need them in my AVR. I...
  12. Jbrunwa

Worst movie ever?

I nominate The Dark Backward (also known as The Man with Three Arms) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dark_Backward
  13. Jbrunwa

Jazz ♫ Music only | In the now, or recently, or that you love...

Although an old album, its new to me. I understand this was among the earliest digitally recorded/released jazz albums, I’m told nearly all recorded live. I’m impressed by the dynamic range of the recording, and the miking of the instruments seems to put me right in the recording studio.
  14. Jbrunwa

Zero surge and surgeX are overpriced as hell

https://zerosurge.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/05/2R-Series-04-22.pdf EDIT: and https://zerosurge.com/certifications/
Top Bottom