Recent content by JBH129

1. JBH129

Onkyo TX-RZ50 Review (Home Theater AVR)

I have been using the RZ50 for a few months and just recently ran into an issue. It shut down on me twice during the new Batman movie when loud explosions occurred. I don’t see why this happened since my LR are powered with NC400s, all speakers are set to small and crossed at 80hz, I don’t...
  2. JBH129

Why Doubt Is Essential to Science - Sci. Am.

Doubt in conventional approaches/thinking is how we make progress. My view is that we (as a species) have such a limited understanding of the world that even when we believe we understand something, that understanding is superficial. This pandemic has demonstrated that doubt is essential...
  3. JBH129

Pioneer VSX-LX505 (with Dirac) Unboxing and Overview

Is it correct that these AVRs have a universal crossover rather than individual crossovers?
  4. JBH129

Buckeye Amps: New US based Hypex multichannel amplifier builder, line-up announcement!

Are any amps available for shipping now or is there a waitlist?
  5. JBH129

New Anthem Distribution Amp (4 zones (8 channels + 4 sub outputs + ARC) for $2000

https://hometheaterhifi.com/blogs/anthem-mdx-8-distribution-amplifier/ I came across the above advertorial/review and this amp looks like a pretty decent value (assuming the performance is decent). Has anyone used or seen measurements of a similar Anthem amp? I like the fact that each zone has...
  6. JBH129

Panasonic DP-UB820 UHD Player Review

While front projectors dont currently support DV, you can use a HDFURY device to trick a source (like ATV4K) to use LLDV (also known as player led DV). In this scenario, the ATV4K would tone map the movie for your projector (which would also apply its own tone mapping). It’s not as good as madvr...
  7. JBH129

Panasonic DP-UB820 UHD Player Review

This device‘s claim to fame is HDR tone mapping (most relevant for projectors). It does a pretty decent job if the meta data in the movie is accurate and tone mapping is very rare in blu ray players. The only alternatives at a similar price point are: madvr on an HTPC or a LLDV (low latency...
  8. JBH129

Best AV Processor under $3k? Lexicon MC-10, Anthem AVM 60, or something else?

What can ARC and Dirac do that Audyssey (XT 32) cannot? With the Audyssey app you can create custom curves and limit the correction frequency. Audyssey also does a good job dual subs.
  9. JBH129

NAD T778 Audio/Video Receiver (AVR) Review

Are you implying that it sounds good, great or something else?
  10. JBH129

Panasonic UB9000 or Panasonic UB820 with a Topping DX7 Pro DAC???

I would suggest trying the 820 as a standalone video player and DAC. My bet is that it is transparent enough on the audio side to make the DX7 Pro unnecessary.
  11. JBH129

Why Audio Science Review's measurements are so different compared to other sources?

I think Amir is secretly a short seller. He publishes negative reviews to drive down stock prices and make himself rich!
  12. JBH129

Panasonic DP-UB9000 UHD Player Review

This player earned its fame for its tone mapping capabilities, which are very helpful when displaying HDR content on a display that is incapable of 1000 nit brightness.
  13. JBH129

Schiit Freya S Preamplifier Review 2

Agreed with the compliments to the company. Following their recent designs and interactions here, I bought a Modi 3 + Magni Heresy for my computer. I am very happy to give a US company my cash if they are providing a quality product at a good price.
  14. JBH129

Twitter thread on vinyl by Charles Murray

I'm condused. Does this mean that you do like vinyl or that you dont like vinyl?
Top Bottom