Recent content by jazzendapus

1. J

The elephant in the room? Objective to what...

Some already gave answers in a similar vein to mine, but here's my take anyway: Stereo recordings are a completely wholesome and established art form on their own. There's a point when musicians+produces+engineers+other staff relevant to creation and production listen to their recorded music...
  2. J

People who use a 10 Band Fixed EQ on their HP's to get their preferred sound, what's your process?

Depends on your goals really. Oratory's EQ settings conform to Harman's research about how headphones are supposed to sound ideally. But if you don't care about that and want to divert from that goal then you can pretty much EQ however you like, according to your own taste.
  3. J

System wide parametric equalizer for Raspberry Pi - is there such a thing?

That's a bingo! Got it working by following this guide via Pulse: https://github.com/bmc0/dsp/wiki/System-Wide-DSP-Guide Very conveniently Kodi sees the dsp-ed PulseAudio output as separate: So thanks a lot Honken, now I can finally try to resume my attempt to turn Rpi4 into my main media...
  4. J

System wide parametric equalizer for Raspberry Pi - is there such a thing?

Did anyone successfully use CamillaDSP on Rpi4 as a system wide EQ? If so I would love to see an example of a config file with some simple filter. I have trouble comprehending how pulse audio interacts with alsa on rpi4 (it's some kind of default output now), and what and how to capture and...
  5. J

Sennheiser HD650 Review (Headphone)

There's an interesting bit from an interview with Axel Grell: https://drop.com/talk/989/community-interview-axel-grell 23 year before that interview puts it at 1993, about the same time HD650's grandfather, namely the HD580 was released. Of course the last part of the quote means they're...
  6. J

Sennheiser HD800S Review (Headphone)

US $1,323 is really a funny price for this. Considering this is an open back headphone you will be listening to/with alone in a room, why not just buy a pair of Neumanns KH 80 (about $1,200) instead which are objectively close to perfect (when it comes to accepted science) and only need a...
  7. J

ASR Getting Into Measuring Headphones!

That's easily measurable. You need to brush up on your ABC (aka, Harman/Sean Olive research regarding headphone preferences) before barging in with those claims. I don't like when Amir gets into subjectivism and replaces things that need to be measured with "vast experience" and/or...
  8. J

Magnepan LRS Speaker Review

Might as well claim that human being is the wrong type of biological organism to be listening to those speakers.
  9. J

Headphone Measurements Using Brüel & Kjær 5128 HATS

This batch of measurements seems like another indication that Sennheiser solved this whole over-ear headphones business about 25 years ago with HD580 (=HD600=HD650) for good. With such great out-of-the box FR and super low distortion you can mold them to your liking/scientific consensus without...
  10. J

PSB Alpha P5 Speaker Review

Speaking only on my own behalf - that they will most likely sound like crap. What kind of flavor of crap exactly? Personally I don't care. I guess those who already own those speakers will be curious about possible ways to de-crapify them, like using an accurate EQ based on your measurements or...
  11. J

SVS Ultra Bookshelf Speaker Review

You're confusing me with someone else, I didn't mention preference score in any of my posts here. My initial point was that this speaker getting 3/5 compared to 5/5 that M106 got doesn't make sense given their overall measurements.
  12. J

If he would say something like "you look kinda pale, you probably have an X disease, take some of those pills" instead of sending me to do proper tests to determine what I actually have, then no, I definitely wouldn't go to that doctor again. And this scenario is pretty much exactly what you...
  13. J

Pretty sure I'm addressing this very point in the post you're replying to - I don't see how the skills of trained listener are related to the skill of reducing biases, what is the mechanism for their relation? So a trained listener might pick on a real issue if such exists, but the final...
  14. J

It's not the credentials that are under attack, it's the fact that he doesn't seem to understand that they are irrelevant, as they do not include the (superhuman) ability to nullify (mostly psychological) biases that are inherent in every sighted and subjective test. His skill for hearing low...
  15. J

The psychological inclination to conform to respected theory can explain this easily. The fact that you listen and give final grade to speakers after measuring them makes this correlation useless. As long as I have no certainty that your subjective grading of the speakers is not affected by the...
Top Bottom