Recent content by jaytrinitron

1. J

Ending the Windows Audio Quality Debate

Well I thought 48 would be fine because the OP recommends setting a higher sample rate if you playback high res material. I don't have any 96khz music, but I do have 48 so that's what I set. Also most of my 44.1khz music is played through foobar and WASAPI exclusive where the windows mixer is...
  2. J

Ending the Windows Audio Quality Debate

Hi all, so I've been reading through the thread, and these are what I'm currently doing. Does it make sense? My DAC is a Schiit Modi 3 +, with AKM AK4490: DAC has 32 bit input so windows sample rate is set to 32-bit, 48khz (since 48khz is the highest sample rate any audio is played at. I don't...
  3. J

RCA splitting: Why is it able to send full output to 2 devices?

Thanks all, these explanations make sense. I guess I should have just thought back to circuits class many years ago! Yeah, since it's parallel I guess my DAC just has to deliver (slightly) higher current if both devices are on, but the input impedances are so high it's not a problem for the DAC...
  4. J

RCA splitting: Why is it able to send full output to 2 devices?

So this is a basic and very dumb question, but I am currently splitting my DAC line out RCA to a set of 2.1 speakers (Corsair SP2500, old and poor quality I know) and my headphone amp. It is my thinking that, should either the speakers or the amp be the only device on, the full output of the...
  5. J

Some questions about EQ and impulse response with foobar2000 foo_convolve and Equalizer APO

I see, thanks. But all I could find there is that "normalizing filter volume" in JRiver applies a fixed -6dB pregain, not that all convolution filters in any program have it. My filter is just an eq and it's in foobar2000, so I don't understand how this applies.
  6. J

Some questions about EQ and impulse response with foobar2000 foo_convolve and Equalizer APO

Thank you for your reply. I tested the song (good song btw), but I used 320 vorbis from spotify premium. Not sure how much of a difference that makes, especially with things like intersample distortions and such, but I didn't hear any clipping/distortions as far as I know. Interesting, how do...
  7. J

So I've been messing about with equalizer APO and foobar2000. I am using a Schiit Modi 3+ DAC and a JDS Labs Atom amp, and I have a dt990 pro 250ohm, a dt990 special edition 600ohm (basically a dt990 premium 600 ohm), and a Senn HD600. I had some questions about how all the processing works: 1...
  8. J

The New Sennheiser HD600 vs the Old Sennheiser HD600?

Hey all, Question regarding the new hd600 packaging: Did those of you who got a 2019 version notice whether the headphone cable was unplugged from the headphone? I've only been able to find unboxing information on the 650 but it seems the 650 comes with the cable plugged in (my 600 didn't)...
  9. J

Battle of Battery Operated Portable Headphone Amps

Thank you for the link and explanation. I was not suggesting that doing POORLY in THD+N improves sonic fidelity (I should've phrased my post differently), but that I have seen people argue that doing WELL in THD+N (over a certain threshold) does not qualify sonic fidelity properly (but may help...
  10. J

I have no idea tbh, but at least here it is argued that 85dB is enough at least audibility wise (although the "strict" or "engineering" limit still calls for 120). I have seen the importance of SINAD for DACs called into question in other places, too, though the more technical side is a bit hard...
  11. J

You are the second person to suggest SINAD is not relevant for a DAC, and that perhaps the testing methodology needs to be revised. The first guy was the main designer from Pure Audio UK who stated he would only be sending his new product to Amir if Amir "revised his testing methodology" and...
  12. J

I actually have two nx4-dsds, one I use portably and the other has a loose USB connection due to my rough handling, and thus I always keep it plugged in as a desktop DAC. Once the battery is drained, the NX4-dsd will turn on its red light and not function. If it is then plugged in to USB power...
  13. J

Noting the big difference in battery vs. usb power in the performance of the nx3s, could something like this also happen with the nx4-dsd?
  14. J

Relay stepped attenuators vs pots, volume control, and measurements

I don't have IEMs, I was just explaining that the poster heard "pot bleed" with his IEMs and was wondering what it was, hence the explanation by the THX engineer. Thank you for your other responses as well, they were very elucidating, particularly the post comparing digital and analog volume...
  15. J

Relay stepped attenuators vs pots, volume control, and measurements

So the other day I was reading the MassDrop THX AAA 789 amp page and one of the engineers at THX was explaining that the pot on the 789 only has -85 dbfs of attenuation, and so you can still hear the music with really sensitive IEMs with the volume pot turned all the way down - described as "pot...
Top Bottom