Recent content by jaymarnz

1. J

Bluesound Node Review (Streamer)

I wasn't able to find in their API doc a way to get the currently playing title/artist/album/SQ or how to get notified when there is a change other than constantly polling so I gave up. But there must be a way since their app displays it but doesn't seem to be documented unless I've missed it...
  2. J

Yeah, I forgot about that and it's nice because you have the Node learn the remote rather than fiddle with a learning-remote and I think you can use just about any IR remote you might have lying around. I'm using my TV's remote
  3. J

Topping PA7 Plus Amplifier Review

True. But maybe less likely to get "lost" if you follow JakeK's advice and put "defective item for repair" or similar on it ;)
  4. J

Topping PA7 Plus Amplifier Review

Right. AFAIK most country's customs declared value for defective devices sent for repair are the cost of the repair, not the original cost of the unit. It's done to prevent double VAT/GST or duty charges and isn't lying. Alternatively, for returned devices if you can show it is a repaired unit...
  5. J

One other difference your comment about Radio Paradise reminded me... Node has capacitive buttons on it to adjust volume and select from 5 presets. Very nice and convenient not to have to open an app to put on Radio Paradise or whatever you like.
  6. J

I have both a Wiim Mini and Node. The Wiim is definitely worth considering if you don't have either due to being so much lower cost. But I think the BluOs App is better with better imtegration (for example it has Tidal mixes which Wimm lacks and metadata for Radio Paradise (Wiim just added RP...
  7. J

If the power button was on the back that would be ok, but I like that there are no obviously visible buttons. Except for this annoying, and hopefully temporary, issue I can't see a reason to switch it off.
  8. J

How will TV volume control work with HDMi to streamer and coax from streamer to DAC/amp?

Yes, that's my setup and it works with both the TV remote and the Blusound App. Node is NOT set to fixed output and controls volume of all sources (TV, streaming, local music server). But I have to connect the DAC via optical. Otherwise, when I connect the DAC via USB the Node complains that it...
  9. J

Buckeye 3 Channel Purifi Amplifier Review (2nd)

I greatly appreciate that Buckeye = excellent performance + awesome customer support + reasonable pricing. A winning formula and especially important for small companies with many larger well-known competitors. But with regards to price comparisons, keep in mind that companies usually don't...
  10. J

My Kingdom For A Remote Volume Knob! can this be made?

I've got one of the FLIRC cases for a RPi and it's really nicely made. Much nicer than the standard plastic cases. I didn't know about their IR solutions so thanks for the pointer about them https://flirc.tv/products/flirc-raspberrypi4-silver?variant=43085036454120
  11. J

Building a wireless remote volume control with a rotary knob for Raspberry pi - help needed with Python

I was also inspired by the thread My Kingdom For A Remote Volume Knob! So, if anyone is interested I've put together an open source web socket server for the Surface Dial. I'm currently using this in conjunction with a display app I built for BluOS streamers like the Node. The display app runs...
  12. J

I've updated BluView which is my open source display for the Node that I wrote about in an earlier post where you can see a photo of it. This update was inspired by a thread about building a remote volume knob. I started playing with a Microsoft Surface Dial and it's working pretty well for me...
  13. J

My Kingdom For A Remote Volume Knob! can this be made?

This thread inspired me to play with a Microsoft Surface Dial as a volume control for my streamer (Bluesound NODE). I know it isn't quite what the OP is looking for since it doesn't have IR, but I thought I'd share what I have in case someone else comes along looking for something like this. And...
  14. J

I wonder if it might be that volume control on the node is only supported if the DAC doesn't have MQA for some reason. Or maybe it allows volume control if the DAC is in fixed output mode but I wonder how it even knows. Anyway, I'll do some more experimenting
  15. J

Hmm.... I tried playing around with this today and can't make volume control on the node work when using USB output. The node always reverts to fixed output when I plug in the USB to my E50 DAC and I get this popup in the BluOS app: But I also couldn't get optical or coax to work properly...
Top Bottom