Recent content by Jas0_0

1. Jas0_0

Topping D50 III Balanced DAC with EQ Review

This is excellent - multi-band PEQ in a cost-effective DAC is something I’ve wanted for years. Let’s hope per-channel implementation follows quickly. What are limits/gradations for Q, frequency, and gain?
  2. Jas0_0

When does it make sense to place preamp between components?

Welcome @oOBurrowsOo I had the exact same dilemma about 6 years ago (before I discovered Audio Science Review) I had a Linn Majik streamer DAC, a Nord power amp and Proac speakers. Music just seemed a bit lean and lifeless. Just like you, I thought adding a tube pre between streamer and...
  3. Jas0_0

A Call For Humor!

Technically, if they’re no older than 15, they’re Gen Z, not Millennials. Truth is funny. Or so I keep telling everyone.
  4. Jas0_0

Help finding amazing room correction post

I think I’d be more worried about what’s causing 14db of hiss than room correction. As @dominikz suggested, is something not quite right with your system? Is the amp playing up, or some setting in the audio chain artificially boosting treble?
  5. Jas0_0

According to the science wot I just learned (and have now become a little evangelical about), there is nothing wrong with broad band tone control-type filters to correct overall sound balance. The problem is when a room correction algorithm makes narrow filters to try to correct...
  6. Jas0_0

Perhaps my explanation lacked clarity. Rugs, room treatment etc really do matter. I wasn’t suggesting that your brain can remove the reflected sound, more that it understands that reflections are reflections (in a way that a mic and algorithm doesn’t) and that’s why using EQ to try to remove...
  7. Jas0_0

Someone more clued up might set me right, but as I now understand it there’s a solid scientific reason not correct above 500Hz or so. From what I’ve read in the posts quoting Toole, linked above, the sound heard at higher frequencies (above 500Hz or so) is a mixture of direct and reflected...
  8. Jas0_0

Have read this, moved my speakers, measured using moving mic method, set the room curve in REW to approx what measurements of my speakers show it should be, used this to generate mono correction filters 20-80Hz, stereo correction filters 80-500Hz and nothing above that. Now sitting back and...
  9. Jas0_0

This is the one! Thanks so much, really appreciated. Now bookmarked. James
  10. Jas0_0

Thanks to all who’ve made suggestions. Still not found it! I have a sneaky feeling it was by someone like @Kal Rubinson I also think it might have been a post in another thread, not a thread-starting post. It went into the interplay of room, acoustic treatment, speakers, speaker placement...
  11. Jas0_0

Hi all, A while ago, one of the really clued up contributors here posted a step-by-step guide to room correction with theoretical explanations for each step, e.g why no correction above 300Hz. I read it because someone else here linked to it from another thread, but I now can’t find it again...
  12. Jas0_0

Poll: Audio Science Review in the World (2024)

Hi from Tottenham, North London. Probably most famous for a certain football club, whose stadium occasionally hosts musical megastars (Beyoncé’s bass was large). Less known as the home of scientist Luke Howard, ‘Namer of Clouds’. I like that cirrus, stratus, cumulonimbus etc were all dreamt...
  13. Jas0_0

Rugs

Reminds me of when they cleaned the plate glass door at a local pub. Great entertainment for us sitting in the garden. One poor surprised punter left a kiss mark.
Top Bottom