Recent content by jameswilson

1. J

Help looking for a portable AMP/DAC without a battery

How portable are you talking? Are you looking to use your phone as the source or a laptop? I feel like the mic input support is really going to hinder your options... I don't think the Hip Dac has mic support, but even if it did, I have one and I wouldn't recommend it. The battery life is...
  2. J

Moondrop Blessing 2 Review (IEM)

This is the first IEM review I have seen on here and I really like this! @amirm Gives a different perspective from a popular IEM reviewer I heavily used when deciding on IEM purchases. Thanks for all you do!
  3. J

Is Spotify darker than lossless?

How bored does one need to be to post 1,518 times to one forum in just a year?... that should answer your question! lol. But seriously... why be on this forum if you are not in pursuit of audio bliss? The one thing I've learned in my 10 years at this game... you better be willing to put in the...
  4. J

Tempotec sonata hd pro firmware update - Android

A little late, but in case another person comes across this... Is it possible? Yes. You can find Tempotecs own instructions online along with the actual firmware files. Do you need to? Unless you are having issues with yours, no. In fact, they recommend you don't unless your having issues...
  5. J

Monoprice Monolith Hi-Res DAC Headphone Amp vs Tempotec Sonata HD Pro vs Hidizs S8???

I know this is a little late, but assuming you live in the USA, why don't you just purchase the Tempotec Sonata HD Pro from Amazon and you can return it for free if you have issues (or whatever reason you want. They even have an option for "I changed my mind")... You can get a free month if you...
  6. J

IEMs, hygiene, ear care. Maintenance.

Ok, I'm replying to many people here, because my experience has been the opposite. Not that I am right, just my technique after 10+ years of using IEMS. Started with the Etymotic E2s or something like that way back in the day, some of the original consumer-level deep IEMs. I have had many...
  7. J

Earmen Sparrow Review (Portable DAC & Amp)

I would love to see a review of these "portables" using their intended source... a smart phone. Selfishly, an android, as thats what I use for all these dongles. It definitely does have an impact on power output... actually, ever since the most recent update on my Samsung Note 9 a week ago...
  8. J

HIDIZS S8 USB-C Headphone Adapter Review

I might have said it in here before... Woo Audio has the best portable (80cm, 90* connectors) "USB C to C" and "USB C to lightning" cables on the market. I would say "in my opinion", but I kinda believe it to be fact. A little pricey @ $25 for the USB C to C. And the Apple lightning is $50...
  9. J

Vintage Speakers Worth Owning Today?

Anybody have experience with the Martin Logan "Sequel II" speakers? I've mainly been into headphones for the past 8 years, but I have the opportunity to purchase these for $100/each... Really, anything you could possibly have to share about them, or even just older electrostats in general, would...
  10. J

I cant answer your question directly, but maybe I can in a round about way... You know you can upgrade to Windows 8, and/or Windows 10, for free? Just click "I don't have a key" when you are upgrading. Windows 7 would scare me as its no longer supported by Microsoft (unless youre running an...
  11. J

If it stopped playing sound and started to get noticeably warmer... I would say that is a sure-fire sign something inside isn't working properly anymore. I would just contact tempotec... they will probably send you a new one. GL. btw, mine doesnt ever get warm or if it does, it's only a couple...
  12. J

I have this product. I thought it was fairly decent, especially for the $15 I paid on Amazon, though it doesnt have a lot of power or physical volume control. After getting the Tempotec SHDP... I dont think its so good anymore. Tempotec is much better!
  13. J

He4xx Balanced Cables

I just "made" a balanced cable for my Sundaras.... I simply searched Amazon for the cheapest 2.5/4.4 IEM replacement cable, 2-pin/mmcx/qdc, doesnt matter. I just cut the IEM connections off and soldered a 3.5mm jack to each side... Boom. Balanced cable for Sundaras/HE400/etc. for the total...
  14. J

Anyone try this? Yinlumei S2, using AK4497 decoding chip

I went looking for this the other day, as it was available on the Shenzen audio (Linsoul) website about a month ago... Apparently, the S2 is no longer a thing. They now have the S3, which looks to be about 2x the size of the S2... and features a balanced connector as well as single-ended. Just...
Top Bottom