Recent content by Jake Cushing

1. J

EverSolo Z8 DAC & Amp Review

Would love to see PEQ become a more frequent feature on these DACs, so it's not just the RME (great DAC but pricey).
  2. J

Is REL being more 'musical' than SVS a myth, or is there some real science behind this?

The T/9x is fully double the price of the SVS SB 1000. It's specced low bass is -6 dB at 27hz, whereas the SVS is -3db at 24 hz. Sure, it may perform subjectively better. May. But the REL looks for all purposes to be twice the price, significantly bigger and heavier, and poorer in performance...
  3. J

Is REL being more 'musical' than SVS a myth, or is there some real science behind this?

It was connected with their speak-on connection via the amp's speaker outputs. All crossover and volume settings were tried. Corner placement was tried. It all sucks.
  4. J

I don't believe there is a REL sub the same footprint as the SVS SB-1000 which will deliver the same performance, or anywhere close. Regardless of price. Deflecting the criticism onto me (the forum poster) doesn't really change the critique of the subwoofer brand though. I take full...
  5. J

This is absolutely correct. Add in the culture of BS around REL from hi-fi retailers, and it was a mistake very easily made. As to your situation @rcstevensonaz , from my recent experience, I would suggest selling your REL subs and purchasing a single SVS SB1000. I can't speak for any other...
  6. J

I'm sorry for necroing this thread, but God allMIGHTY the difference between REL and SVS is insane. I dearly wish I had seen this thread before buying a REL T5x. For a second space I opted for an SVS SB1000. It is so vastly superior that I don't even think REL should be allowed to call...
  7. J

Female Vocals: Stunning Recordings You Love

Cocteau Twins. All their records were incredible, but for hi-fi listening the last two had the cleanest recordings: Four Calendar Cafe, eg And 'Milk and Kisses' their swansong.
  8. J

Does Anyone in the US have any of the newer Luxman Integrateds, and if so...

Hair splitting and yes, there would be an audible difference at higher volumes. Diminishing returns overall of course.
  9. J

I meant gear like the Rotel from the 70s. Lux will have much lower distortion and noise.
  10. J

@Chrispy yes we are of course speaking purely of external build aesthetics. Sonically the Luxman will be leagues ahead of anything from the full-metal era of kit. But why they would skimp on those external elements and go plastic is beyond me. Not worth the loss of purist dollar I believe.
  11. J

This was the exact receiver I grew up with in the family home in the late 70s/early 80s. I just took it for granted that stereo amps were all solid metal and stylish...
  12. J

They've gone backwards there, the previous models had those really nice scalloped metal grills on top. Now its a double array of plastic fins.
  13. J

@ieatfishburritos No worries, no hard feelings. Things do get thrown around in the delivery system. The offer you made wouldn't have worked, it would involve months of travel in a crate by sea. I'm getting my unit checked over by a repair man anyway. It'd nice to have Amir give a Luxman unit...
Top Bottom