Recent content by Jaimo

1. Jaimo

Making my system family friendly

My setup is perfectly fine for my personal use but my family finds it very difficult to use when I am not home. I have considered writing up a mini manual on how to watch Amazon Prime, Netflix etc but figured I'd pose the question to the group first... What can I do to make it easy for a non...
  2. Jaimo

What Hi-Fi's Amp Reviews: A Basket of Unmeasurables?

A few things I learned over the years from Twat Hi-Fi… 1. British products are always superior. 2. The more money you spend the better the sound. 3. Manufacturers that advertise in their Mag make excellent products. 4. Manufacturers who don’t advertise with them make poor sounding junk. 5...
  3. Jaimo

THE HI-FI SHOW IN AUSTRIA

I haven’t been to a hi-fi show in many years but I can count on one hand the good sounding systems I’ve heard at these shows. The circus of hi-end charlatans (exhibitors) have done irreparable damage to the hobby.
  4. Jaimo

Cambridge Audio Duo Phono Stage Review (Updated)

I have the ART Precision Phono and have to say that I have no real issues with this on my Technics SL100C with stock AT VM95C MM cartridge. I listen to vinyl only occasionally nowadays and I am tempted to hook up my DL103R and Softone SUT into the ART, I’m not sure that this will be a...
  5. Jaimo

Parasound XRM vs JC3 JR Phono Preamp

It is important to apply some scientific rigour to comparing different audio products. If you don’t do this, you will likely end up making very expensive errors in judgement and become more and more frustrated. The list of actions you can take to objectively select equipment below is by no means...
  6. Jaimo

Has the objective of ASR been reached?

Going back to the OP’s point and Amir’s comment, I for one would really like to see Turntable measurements. Also, I believe that we should not consider objective assessments fully baked and explore the possibility of the existence of other measurements that take the state of the art up a few...
  7. Jaimo

Orei HDA-939 HDMI Audio Extractor Review

I have are three HDMI inputs and One HDMI out - no separate audio connection. The Toslink audio out is separated from the HDMI signals so yes, I guess I’m using ARC HDMI. Hope this helps.
  8. Jaimo

Topping Pre90 Review (preamplifier)

I don’t doubt that you will find the A90D a great addition to your system. I am still playing around with volume curves etc- it does take time to get used to the different functions that this unit offers. I do find that I am listening to music at much higher levels than before I installed my...
  9. Jaimo

Topping a90d vs topping pre 90

I received my A90D yesterday and inserted it between my Topping EX5 and JBL LSR708P speakers using the balanced in and balanced out connections. I noticed that the ground lift switch was “on” as shipped and I set this to “off” before powering up. I also have an order in for an Extension unit...
  10. Jaimo

Hagerman Bugle3 Phono Stage Review

Hey Jim, thanks for joining in on the discussion and explaining your design logic. I am an avid DIYer and encourage others to explore your designs and learn how to wield a soldering iron :) While I haven’t built any of your designs, I commend you on your support for the DIY community. It’s the...
  11. Jaimo

Master "deals" (massdrop, ebay, Amazon, etc.) Thread on Audio Product Sales

Spring deals are also available on the Aoshida and Shenzhen Amazon stores. Camel Camel shows the Topping A90D and A90Pre at “Best Price”, meaning that this is the lowest these items have been listed for. I believe that the 15% discount for these items is valid until March26. Edit: deal...
  12. Jaimo

Thanks for the clarification! I’ve tried setting up home theatre systems on two occasions and while I got a great picture from an Epson projector, the my Onkyo / Polk audio 7.1 system turned out underwhelming. I’m happily back to my 2.1 stereo.
  13. Jaimo

Not sure if I am missing something here, the TeSmart unit costs $69 and while it is intended as a selector, it also provides an optical spdif output (audio extractor) It wasn’t my intention to hijack this thread so let’s just consider this discussion closed.
  14. Jaimo

I have been using this selector since 2020 and it works without any issues. It is very well built and I’ve often wondered how it will test against the Amazon Basics unit… HDMI Switch 4 in 1 Out, TESmart... https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07HH1LTTK?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share
  15. Jaimo

Topping Pre90 Review (preamplifier)

I come from an era of 25dB channel separation phono cartridges so this is less of an issue for me on the analog side. Life is full of compromises - it will be interesting to note if the stereo imaging changes when I insert the A70D onto my signal chain. I am extremely sensitive to channel balance.
Top Bottom