Recent content by j_j

1. j_j

Distortion down to -300 dB, what exactly does that mean physically?

It all depends on what "appreciable" means, of course. When can one measure it, when do weird things like mass flow happen?
  2. j_j

Yeah, I've asked that question, too. The body being mostly water, every 16CCs of a body will turn into 1.5*22.4 liters of gas, using the "all water" assumption. And then you are left with the problem of an exactly stoichometric mixture of H2 and O2 at a very high temperature in a very small...
  3. j_j

Well, I suppose there would be "sound" for a bit while you are vaporized by the radiation. :D Doubt you'd hear it, or know.
  4. j_j

So true, so basic. The basic quanta of real life prevent anything possibly meaningful in a sensory fashion. Period.
  5. j_j

This of course a ridiculous choice of course for doing reconstruction. One can design either a constant delay, or mixed delay filter of quite finite length for any purpose, while providing reconstruction to any arbitrary level, say, under 1 LSB, without having to resort to sinc functions, etc...
  6. j_j

Needs a distance chart, too, but it does make the point.
  7. j_j

No, I'm hardly saying that. Useful sensation happens from about -10dB SPL to about 90dB SPL then the mechanisms start to choke. At 140dB you risk instant hearing loss. 194dB would destroy your middle ear in one pulse. Also your house, your trees, your car, your land, your body. The point is...
  8. j_j

What are you even talking about? I've designed digital filters since the late 1970's. I've published papers on the subject, as well as papers on the audibility of artifacts due partially to filtering, etc. I can't even tell if you mean "complex filters" (meaning coefficients with an imaginary...
  9. j_j

Step Response: Does It Really Matter?

That's quite some allpass filter, but it can be done. :D
  10. j_j

Well, this guy does fit one of the stereotype annoying people I meet in audio. Those who refuse to accept the science are quite common on both the "nothing matters" and the "audiophiliac" side. This hasn't been very well helped by some older papers that are correct, but didn't choose the best...
  11. j_j

That doesn't even mean anything. Where do you measure this poorly defined signal? What time window? What contribution from local acoustics? Again, you simply deny the actual issues at hand, and can't even explain what you're talking about in terms of measurement. "The amplitude difference in...
  12. j_j

So, you don't know anything, and won't go read papers. You're no better than the audiophools, you believe, you don't think. Perhaps you should be more careful in making ridiculous, foolish claims. You can't even, apparently, tell me which frequency response you think matters. So tell me, do...
  13. j_j

Seriously? You have to ask about matching between channels? Go read Toole's work. Just do it. Then learn about direct vs. indirect sensation, how that interacts with rooms, the effects of rapid phase shift (as opposed to slow phase shift), and how the ear works. Learn about how directional...
  14. j_j

Nonsense, radiation pattern, phase/time response, matching between channels, at least can matter in addition to frequency response.
Top Bottom