Recent content by Inner Space

1. I

Stereophile's Jim Austin disagrees w Atkinson; says tubes have something that can't be measured

That's my experience too. The scarcity of roadies changed many things. I'm a bass player and used to gig with big-iron amps and an Ampeg 8x10 "refrigerator". When I had to haul gear myself I changed pretty quick. But it's worth noting that software simulations tend to be fairly generic in...
  2. I

Stereophile's Jim Austin disagrees w Atkinson; says tubes have something that can't be measured

No, nothing to do with circles of confusion - merely a question: why does JA2 need tubes downstream of the file, to "retain" stuff that was put there by solid state equipment and software simulations?
  3. I

From my perspective on the production side, this is his argument's own goal. What is this less tangible thing that is retained? He would say soul, emotion, euphoria, engagement, whatever. I would confirm: so that's all in the file, but it's in danger of being stripped away, so it needs to be...
  4. I

Not really - JA2 is instead committing to a huge logic reversal. He basically wrote (my edits): And who could argue with that? It's all completely measurable, and it brings us back to the "some people enjoy distortion" position, which we all know well. I'm surprised, though, at the blatantly...
  5. I

Speakers that are unforgiving of poor-quality recordings - is that a thing?

Two things stood out for me (well, three, given the terrible transcription - some kind of early speech-to-text?) - first, when asked what area was most in need of work, Walker answered, "the loudspeaker in the room combination." True then, true now, true always. And ... when asked if he was...
  6. I

State of the Art passive full-range speakers?

I've heard it said about people that when they show you who they are, you should believe them the first time. I think the same applies with speakers. You seem to have had a wholly positive and enthusiastic reaction to the Blade One Meta, after a long audition. Believe them the first time, and...
  7. I

The quest for my hyper speaker - Very Large room dilemma

Anechoic is a technical definition, and I have never found it necessary to go that far ... reflections some multiple tens of dBs down usually do the trick. And I know these aren't made up concepts - 99% of people live with them, after all. But it's a weird approach to fidelity ... how would...
  8. I

Using a headphone amplifier with guitar pedals

Welcome to ASR. Two comments - first, "accuracy" really isn't a thing with guitars. You have to conceive of the fingers-instrument-preamp-poweramp-speaker chain as one single entity, to be considered as a whole. Injecting hifi standards of accuracy downstream of your pedal board will cut out...
  9. I

Yes, I agree that we studio folk are all deaf morons. (But you seem to have built a whole hobby around our product ... go figure.) In the meantime, this deaf moron would comment: "Prefer" is such a weak concept. I have attended various tests with various questions. The strongest question...
  10. I

C'mon, Frank. To be accurate, Toole offers just one non-blind study that he says "seems" to show something or other. The rest of what he offers is untested anecdata, and he himself concludes "Chasing this issue to ground will require some real research." (Pun presumably intended.) His...
  11. I

Master Thread: Are measurements Everything or Nothing?

Great question. I think three primary factors: first, the initial part of the 70 plus-year history of modern-era hifi showed genuine differences between gear, often associated with price, to the point where the notion became baked in to the conventional wisdom, and survives in the present day...
  12. I

What does it take to succesfully transition to a green energy economy?

Such thinking misses the point. There is no long term here. On a long term graph, we're perched on a tiny level blip at the extreme right of the picture, more or less at zero years. We had a freak, stable 10,000 year plateau, and used it to build an entire civilization still and always based...
  13. I

Well, they're large but not boxy - they're roughly triangular in plan, so you could tuck them into, or toward, the corners. Much less dominating than you would think, given the 6' x 4' frontal plane. I haven't received mine yet, but I'm really looking forward to getting them.
  14. I

I would say JBL 4367s as a minimum, elevated 12" or 15". Same family as the 4349s, which you like. But given the 16' - 18' to the LP, which eats up a lot of dBs, think about the new Klipsch Jubilees. Two-way actives with outboard DSP crossovers, giant sensitivity and headroom. I haven't seen...
  15. I

Genelec Ones- Overpriced ?

My observations over the years are that manufacturers who sell primarily into the domestic market are keenly aware that the purchase price comes out of already-taxed individual income. Manufacturers who sell primarily into the legacy pro market are equally aware that the purchase price...
Top Bottom