Recent content by Ingenieur

1. Ingenieur

Master Thread: “Objectivism versus Subjectivism” debate and is there a middle ground?

I'm a realist I'm an Engineer, so objective by profession I'm (barely) human so subject to subjectivity My wife sums it as weirdly conflicted :D Perpetual stalemate with myself
  2. Ingenieur

Master Thread: “Objectivism versus Subjectivism” debate and is there a middle ground?

Subjectivity gets a bad name from claims like 'power cords make amazing differences' 'Little dots on things improve sound' Cable lifters 'Power conditioners revealed things I never heard before' Et al These claims make people like me distance myself from 'hearing things' which may not be a good...
  3. Ingenieur

Is the system an instrument or a conduit for art? Both? I believe in accuracy, output = input x gain But there is always distortion, usually speaker/room contributes the most. So some personal bias/preference must enter the selection process. I do believe all differences that can be heard can...
  4. Ingenieur

imho one brush does not paint all. Things Ike amps, DACs, etc, for the most part can be defined and evaluated primarily by specs/measurements and features. Speakers, headphones, cartridges, not so much. Perhaps the subjectives weighs a bit more with these. SQ Preference is a larger factor...
  5. Ingenieur

Snark? You telling me I don't understand what I am saying and take it upon yourself to interpret it for me, eg, "I agree with you", , when it was clear I don't, is the epitome of snark or arrogance. 'tone' lol I do not care. This all comes down to: Cars vs hifi analogy Both are hobbies in...
  6. Ingenieur

I am not 'following' anyone. I consider their opinion. I weight that opinion based on their credentials, experience, motivation for bias, my personal bias, etc. And consensus of others. I do not assume their expertise. But overall, this is a small factor in the decision process. I KNOW there...
  7. Ingenieur

So, I don't know what I am saying but you do? And ergo, I agree with you. Do you comprehend the pompousness of that logic? imho probably not. It is more flawed, but equally pompous. I do not agree with you. I disagree with your premise or position that cars vs hifi are not a valid analogy, it...
  8. Ingenieur

Guys like Stewart and Paul Frere have evaluated and opined on cars. I'm not sure what your point is. Never place weight on anyone's subjective opinion? I see no reason to not include it if you consider the source credible. The weighting is up to you, lightly in my book, and must be corroborated...
  9. Ingenieur

6+ years old, first car I've bought new. Usually got CPO'ed cars. Thanks to working from home most of the time low mileage. My previous ride, the lemon (although actually reliable) Yes, I like cars Had a few BMW's too, I'd call it a draw. imo, better engineering and quality >> MB or Audi No bad...
  10. Ingenieur

Yep, snobbery or elitism is rife in both. I like subtle but beastly...objectively lol
  11. Ingenieur

I disagree. I don't like green food. Green is objective Taste is subjective You can have both apply. I'm not getting into philosophy or the existence of reality, lol. Food is not a machine. Hifi and cars are 'machines'. Although there are many analogies, cars vs hifi is one of the valid ones...
  12. Ingenieur

What is group delay?

It is difficult to grasp 2 signals of different frequency superimposed/combined, like a modulated signal or a multi tone like a square wave. The 2 signals each have 2 components: Magnitude (an envelope) Phase, the phase relationship between the two signals When the signal is put thru a device...
  13. Ingenieur

Because what I consider responsive you may not. What I consider neutral you may consider understeer even though both pull 0.9 g on a skid pad. It does. As long as you recognize the song the basic function has been performed. What you consider noise being emitted others may hear music. But the...
  14. Ingenieur

Speaker wires don't carry any energy (power).

Disconnect 1 speaker lead and see if it works. ;)
  15. Ingenieur

Speaker wires don't carry any energy (power).

There are more videos debunking it. He contrived an impossible scenario. No R Waves/current at the speed of light There is a propagation velocity. < c Both impossible This guy actually showing how silly it was Either he is making an absurd claim or all theses textbooks that have been used...
Top Bottom