Recent content by Hypnotoad

1. Hypnotoad

Power cord blind test

The purveyors of the expensive power cord say they have an answer to this one, and those who drink the coolaid swallow it, excuse the pun. "A common misconception regarding power cables is that they represent the final link in the transfer of power after traveling through miles of power lines...
  2. Hypnotoad

Ditch the CD transport and go with computer?

+1 My CD player is gathering dust since I got a USB dac and have all digital files on a PC as a music server.
  3. Hypnotoad

What do you use as a source for your music with a DAC

I have an external HDD in one of those external USB enclosures, I also keep a copy on my regular desktop PC, so with my music server I have two independent backups.
  4. Hypnotoad

What do you use as a source for your music with a DAC

An old AMD CPU Hewlett Packard PC that I had laying around. Using Ubuntu with Audacious, it's a basic player with all the features I need to play the files on my hard drive, the SQ is amazing IMO.
  5. Hypnotoad

Show us your vintage cassettes!

Don't get me wrong, it was a beautiful machine and the sound quality from cassettes was outstanding on it, it was a nostalgia buy and I had moved on from cassettes in the car etc.
  6. Hypnotoad

Show us your vintage cassettes!

I used to buy many blank cassettes to use in the car back in the day, mainly the TDK D-90's, and would type the details on the inserts. I always lusted over owning a Nakamichi 3 head deck. I bought one a while back, recorded one record on it, didn't see the value in it anymore and sold it for...
  7. Hypnotoad

How much money do you have invested in this "hobby?"

System used at the moment: Topping D30 Dac $150.00 New NAD 7155 Receiver $100.00 Used (Only had one channel working which I fixed) B&W DM1400 Speakers $250.00 Used B&W DM 601 S2 Speakers $250.00 Used Old PC as music server $0.00 Used Sony Bravia 46" 3D TV $0.00 Used (Gift from my son.) Total...
  8. Hypnotoad

Why Audiophiles Are Shopping for Vintage Turntables

That's certainly one use for them. ;) That's heresy, why would you replace a triple SU carburetted long stroke six cylinder engine that needs constant tuning with a high performance fuel injected Chevy V8?
  9. Hypnotoad

Why Audiophiles Are Shopping for Vintage Turntables

That's why the majority of vinyl lovers hang on to their turntables, it takes them back to their younger days where they frequented record shops and bought home the latest new release for a spin. And they can also own those turntables now that they lusted over at that time. Of course they don't...
  10. Hypnotoad

Vinyl remains officially the least popular way to listen to music albums in the UK

It won't be long and Cd's will be a novelty item as well, with all the streaming sites and HiRes files that people download, even most cars built today don't have a Cd player. Sales of CDs plummeted by 23% last year, as consumers flocked to streaming services for their music. Just 32 million...
  11. Hypnotoad

Vinyl remains officially the least popular way to listen to music albums in the UK

"Vinyl remains officially the least popular way to listen to music albums in the UK" I would have thought it would be cassette tapes. ;)
  12. Hypnotoad

Who in their right mind

Come in to my parlour said the spider to the fly! ;)
  13. Hypnotoad

Expensive loudspeakers that sound bad

A word on B&W speakers, they seemed to have gone with very basic crossovers in a lot of their more recent iterations, usually only an inductor on its own for the low frequency driver which means the bass doesn't roll off as steep as it should and you get nasty cone breakup in the treble region...
  14. Hypnotoad

Do the cables matter?

Ummm yeah, Tritium is so like yesterday, when are they going to wake up that Rhodium is the new Tritium?
  15. Hypnotoad

Double-Blind ABX Testing Proves All Power Cords Have an Effect on Audio

At last some actual truth about power cords. "Recent experiments show that 100% of listeners were able to tell the difference between using an amplifier with a power cord attached, and without." https://www.avsforum.com/double-blind-abx-testing-proves-power-cords-effect-audio/
Top Bottom