Recent content by HuskerDu

1. H

Steve Guttenberg compares subjective and objective reviews

Beautiful... https://slate.com/human-interest/2019/07/big-boy-locomotive-video.amp
  2. H

:facepalm: ...accurate OR beautiful?!?! ...no words
  3. H

What I Learned on ASR Today...

Training your own hearing and testing it as well... (Possible duplicate link.) Link
  4. H

Review and Measurements of Purifi 1ET400A Amplifier

I agree with @orangejello. You'd be surprised, maybe, at how easy "good enough" soldering is... Get a soldering iron and a silly project (for practice) from the hobby store near you and try. Purists will correct me, I expect, but ...all you do is heat (by touching with your soldering tip, and...
  5. H

Steve Guttenberg says this R2R DAC sounds like Vinyl

Wow! This strikes me as (the) truth, and I like it! I want to believe this. It's consistent with my experience of compromises and trade-offs, at least...
  6. H

Bwaaaahahahhhaaaa!!! :D ...Yeah. What he said! Integrating with the other post... ...I love this. It makes sense. This suggests a new set of measurements? A scored approximation for Steve to use? Obviously, I was never that enthralled with plastic records in the first place. Consumer CD is way...
  7. H

"... The music is reversible. Turn back! Turn back!"
  8. H

I'm confused. Have we now advanced to the point of simulating random static discharge between the disc and the stylus? And the hiss from dust? Can they simulate that zap from your friend sneaking up behind you with a ZeroStat gun? And the random skips from the hair that dropped on the platter...
  9. H

I honestly don't think we can blame reviewers using their ears when the industry as a whole apparently disregards fact altogether. (I apologize to the exceptional cases for this sweeping generalization.)
  10. H

First off: Thank you @Blumlein 88 for taking the time to bring those links together. Awesome! I was never sure, when I read references to "spin-o-rama," that the term was legit. Like "shout-o-meter." Now I get it. The Audioholics version is clear enough that I'll pass on the $105 for the ANSI...
  11. H

As I understood it, the speaker goes on its back (face up) and the mic goes above (straight up) the speaker. As I'm seeing the terms used, I want to say this gives "on axis" measurement. (... I picture myself standing there holding the mic out in one hand and pushing "play" with the other hand...
  12. H

...also messy thread, but the Q&A includes some straight answers: here
  13. H

Found Atkinson. Can't find a set of charts that are like the ones in the Zu speaker article. Smooth frequency response is much too vague for Google, as I've deployed it so far. Found one post that points out a (now) obvious tidbit: put the speaker on the grass outside and you've got a low-tech...
  14. H

Speaker performance objectively defined without all the hoo-ha from the "yeah but" debaters... What sounds good to anybody.
Top Bottom