Recent content by huggzymers

1. H

SMSL SU-9n Review (Balanced Stereo DAC)

Note, I'm seeing the Drop says estimated shipping from 1 April, I don't know if that's the date globally and probably not an issue for most people. But something to be aware of for those who require instant gratification.
  2. H

Topping DACs: feature comparison

Just stumbled on this list. Was thinking, perhaps Topping have such a plethora of models because despite their design genius, they don't have a similar table internally that allows them to see where their products sit in relation to each other! If they did have a table, then it would be...
  3. H

Recommend a 'budget' DAC to share between Headphone Amp and Integrated Amp? Or not!

Thanks Radix. Ridiculous how helpful you've been, I really appreciate it. I took a break from the forum for a bit as I found myself spending more time reading reviews and forum threads about audio than listening to music! Which is a bit of a warning to me to stop fussing around with gear too...
  4. H

Recommend a 'budget' DAC to share between Headphone Amp and Integrated Amp? Or not!

Thanks Robin. It's a versatile little stack there. I'm kicking myself (gently) as when I ended up getting the SMSL SP20, although it's fairly minimalistic in features, I knew it had a feature that I didn't much care about (balanced inputs/outputs), but it seems that I missed out on...
  5. H

Thanks Joe Smith. Looks like a great solution. The further along on this journey however, I've realised I want to prioritise reducing the boxes I have rather than adding. I appreciate the suggestion however!
  6. H

Thanks Robin, just to clarify, is your sound chain: PC > Topping E30 > Topping L30 > AVR, with the Topping L30 > AVR connection coming out of the L30 outputs? If so that's a neat feature.
  7. H

It possibly isn't. But the things that confused me where: - Confusion 1 - I was originally going to split the signal out of the focusrite, which has balanced 1/4 jacks, via a 1/4 inch to rca connector. Then I stumbled on a blog post by JDS labs on how to connect an Audio Interface to a...
  8. H

Yep thanks I saw that review. I have the precursor to the DAC Magic 100, so the first iteration, the plain old 'Dac Magic'. The original Dac Magic doesn't seem to exist on the Cambridge Audio website anymore. No listing, drivers or supporting documentation I could find. Luckily Windows 10...
  9. H

Thanks Fuzzy_Logic. Actually a friend of mine who is my occasional all-things-audio mentor did suggest that to me (i.e. DAC - > Marantz Speaker Amp - > line out -> Headphone amp) but I momentarily forgot about this option when I posted. I am reluctant to rely on it long term because the...
  10. H

Review and Measurements of SMSL SP200 THX HP Amp

I quite like the rhombus shape. I feel that for too long people have adhered to a rectangular-centric world when the fact is, rectangles are just as arbitrary a shape as any other! And even though I enjoy the rhombus shape, it's hardly noticeable. But each to their own.
  11. H

Thanks again Radix. I agree that it would be nice to have just one box on the desk doing all the work, but at the same time, if SQ is comparable between my existing set up and the dxpro3+, I'm actually happy to sit on my random collection of boxes for now and make do. As it's honestly hardly...
  12. H

Thanks raistlin65, I did actually look closely at the THX789 for that exact reason. But I think it was about $100 more than the SMSL SP200 they had on sale at the time (NYE 2021) and I was under the impression at the time that a simple bit of Y cabling would be easy to do to split a DAC output...
  13. H

Also, I probably should mention that the headphones I need to drive are the Sennsheiser 6XX. Which may be relevant if anyone does suggest any more combo DAC/Amps. And as I mentioned I am rather easily pleased, so I'm unlikely to add to this collection of 1!
  14. H

Thanks radix. Oh man, that sounds like the ideal unit. I wish I'd read reviews/descriptions more carefully. I have a slight preference for separates over AIOs, so while I was aware of the DX3Pro+, I probably skimmed over it at the time when I was purchasing. But it sounds like it does all that...
  15. H

Question for you all. Thanks in advance for any help/replies. Question How do people typically share a DAC with a headphone amp and an integrated amp for speakers? I currently have 2 DACs, one for headphone and one for speakers, but thinking of consolidating into one unit. Are there any...
Top Bottom