Recent content by Hrodulf

1. Hrodulf

Detailed measurements and spinorama of Reflector Audio Square Two 2-way coaxial horn monitor with 4x 5" woofers

I'm using a similar construction speaker (HF1440+18sound horn + slot loaded 15MU woofers) at home and find that the narrow dispersion helps greatly in my untreated room. There is no pronounced sweetspot, yet the narrow radiation angle means I'm not bothering my neighbors too much (not with mids...
  2. Hrodulf

Detailed measurements and spinorama of Reflector Audio Square Two 2-way coaxial horn monitor with 4x 5" woofers

I know the guys behind the design team. Reflector audio USA and Reflector Audio ltd. has the same people behind the company, don't really know why they decided to separate the businesses. The former is their more pro brand whilst the latter is more for home. As someone noted - Hypex FA boards...
  3. Hrodulf

Anything better than Genelec?

I don't think there's anything exotic going on. The directivity above 1Khz will be dictated by the horn - I don't have the possibility to do real polars for the woofers, but I wouldn't fret about them. I've seen those guys design speakers and they do real-time off-axis AFR/phase measurements...
  4. Hrodulf

What do you want to know? It's a DSP speaker, so AFR is pretty much what you want it to be. I was present when the acoustician used SMAART to adapt both speakers to the room, so I know it was flat enough.
  5. Hrodulf

It's a proprietary design. The speaker was first presented by Square Audio, but the company ended up going tits-up. The guys behind the firm regrouped as Reflector Audio, so they could build one of their older designs for me.
  6. Hrodulf

Here's a better look at the top speaker. Here's a better look at the enclosure - Basically it's a quasi-point-source with the woofers shooting through the side slits. No one usually believes that it can sound any good, but it does... As for the subs, they're both 200l boxes tuned to 23Hz...
  7. Hrodulf

Custom tops made by a local company here. FaitalPRO HF1440 in an18sound XR1464C horn 1st order crossed at 1kHz to 4xScanSpeak 15WU's. Everything's powered by FA253 plates. Changed the ADI-2 Pro to a Pi2AES streamer and now I'm using the AES/EBU connections.
  8. Hrodulf

Sure, I'm not claiming it to be perfect. But it beats not having heard them at all! Honestly, I was expecting them to impress me. I'm a coax speaker fan and have deep respect for what Genelec is doing. I'm blaming the room acoustics for the meh impression. Sure thing. That's why I can't stand...
  9. Hrodulf

MQA Deep Dive - I published music on tidal to test MQA

Let me pop in a bit regarding the usefulness of MQA. It has never been about the listener. It doesn't deliver any audible benefit and the bandwidth shrinking "benefit" is nulled by improving delivery technology both in mobile and landline internet. Heck, as many have pointed out - if you can do...
  10. Hrodulf

I used to have 8050a's which were terrific speakers for the 2000EUR I paid for them. Even helped out by a sub and room-corrected by Sonarworks Reference 3, they seemed to lose some mid detail on higher SPL's and sometimes I found highs to be fatiguing. It was hard for me to pinpoint the reasons...
  11. Hrodulf

Reactions of people to nice headphones (unscientific)

My sister was pretty floored by the Audeze LCD-2. I've been in audio marketing for almost a decade and I always say that it's nonsense to say that people can't hear the difference. They do, but outside of novelty, they care very little about it. And often they will be ashamed to admit so.
  12. Hrodulf

KH310 passive alternative?

KEF R3 won't be too shabby. Especially with the sub helping down low.
  13. Hrodulf

I have a kef LSX. what DAC should i be getting?

I guess optical would be good. Try it out, before buying anything!
  14. Hrodulf

I have a kef LSX. what DAC should i be getting?

Just get something for the headphones. Those speakers have built-in DACs.
  15. Hrodulf

What is your ideal integrated amplifier?

Here's mine - Doesn't get much more integrated than that.
Top Bottom