Recent content by Horseflesh

1. H

AIYIMA A08 Pro Amplifier Review

Yeah it went down about $10 after I got one! I got a $20 off coupon when I ordered, but the current price is even better than that. It's a pretty nice little unit. Even the knobs feel good. It is hard to be objective with describing the settings, but it's like this... With the system indoors...
  2. H

But the Prozar is a DAC, not a preamp. I do not need a DAC because I am working with a completely analog signal path already. I needed to amplify the analog preamp outputs on my Sony to line level as expected by the A08 Pro. Unless I am missing something the Prozar only has a digital input...
  3. H

Yep, I have a red light. Good news: the inline preamp gizmo seems to have solved my problem. So, the preamp outputs on my home theater receiver were just not hot enough for the A08 Pro inputs. (I did blindly buy the cheapest possible preamp, which is not the AudioScienceReview way, but for...
  4. H

The problem I am having with the RCA inputs is 100% not due to Bluetooth being active. If adding a preamp doesn't fix it, I am going to be really confused.
  5. H

That's exactly what I am doing -- and it doesn't work. There isn't a twitch on the meter and nothing is audible. It isn't a cable problem, I tried several. (Edit to add: It isn't Bluetooth being active either, I tried all this before I tried Bluetooth at all.) I know my A08 Pro's RCA input is...
  6. H

I must have explained my situation poorly originally. Forget I mentioned bluetooth. I do have a DAC, I use a home theater receiver which has one built in as it takes sound over HDMI and sends it to multiple speakers. It has a headphone jack, analog preamp outputs, speaker outputs. I want the...
  7. H

Now I'm really confused! The preamp outputs on my receiver should just be analog signals, right? The manual does not specify that they are coax signals. The only digital outputs are for the Mini Disc stage. (Boy that tells you how old it is!) My goal is to take whatever is playing on that...
  8. H

I apologize but I have a really dumb question about the A08 Pro which will expose my shocking ignorance about other aspects of hifi! I bought one intending to use it to drive a pair of outdoor speakers. This works great with Bluetooth and I think the amp sounds pretty OK. Unfortunately I had...
  9. H

Looking for some input on speaker selection for casual media AND guitar/bass practice

Well, I asked about good vendors ... but then I caved in and bought a pair of T5Vs at Guitar Center. It was between them and the Kali LP-6s, and around here the Adams seem more popular by a nose. The better bass was really the tiebreaker. Anyway, I got it hooked up and the T5Vs are exactly...
  10. H

Looking for some input on speaker selection for casual media AND guitar/bass practice

@paulraphael thanks a million, I couldn't have asked for a reply that was better suited to my weird needs. That's super encouraging. Since I play through a Helix I have tons of sims to play with. In fact, enjoying trippy stereo effects was one of the reasons for wanting to move from my crummy...
  11. H

Oh I know, but it's always better to find help from the well-informed and translate if my goals are lesser, rather than start on the other end of the spectrum. :) This is a tough thing to discuss online since it's so subjective. For a lot of players, a "practice" system is gig-worthy. Other...
  12. H

@sdiver68 I didn't mention it, but I actually already have a Helix LT, so I don't want to add more modeling. Also, I want stereo to enjoy the stereo effects in the Helix... I really need a pair of full range do-it-all speakers for this room, even though it's a compromise in some ways.
  13. H

The reviews and discussion here are an absolute goldmine, but I have some unusual and actually kind of contradictory desires... I could use some help navigating to the right compromise in a bookshelf style speaker. My budget is approx. $500 but I could spend more for the right stuff, and would...
Top Bottom