Recent content by Hidde

1. H

ASR Directiva Open Source Speaker Review

That tweeter's dispersion performance is so nice, but the other parameters are purely mediocre compared to that purifi woofer. Something like the Bliesma T34B has much better performance regarding THD and control of resonances (though also in a different price category). Source...
  2. H

Sony WH-1000XM4 Review (noise cancelling headphone)

Awesome! I was really hoping for these to be reviewed :) I had auditioned the XM3's and found them to be very bass heavy (or lack of mids might be a better phrasing). The measurements confirm it. Sad to see that I haven't found a GOOD noise canceling headphone. The bose 700's check all the...
  3. H

What headphones would you like Amir to measure next?

Awesome. Any plans on also testing the noise canceling features? Or will you test them like any other headphones tested so far? I can understand that testing noise canceling is a bit difficult and there is nothing wrong with your testing so far (I really appreciate it actually :) ). It's just...
  4. H

What headphones would you like Amir to measure next?

I would love to see some ANC headphones to be tested. The sony WH1000 mx4 or bose 700 for instance. Both are very popular.
  5. H

Revel M105 Bookshelf Speaker Review

Having a larger Sd will result in lower excursion. Using multiple of the same drivers will have larger Sd and thus lower excursion and thus lower non linear distortion. You are making compromises though. More drivers tend to have directivity issues, because you can't place them all closely...
  6. H

Are "audio grade electrolytic capacitors" snake oil?

Yeah those Vishay's are awesome (I haven't used the others), however they are also priced accordingly, but that goes for most thin films. Personally I have good experiences with Rubicon, Nichicon and Wima as well. Though Nichicon does this audiophool marketing with the UFG and UKZ series which I...
  7. H

Are "audio grade electrolytic capacitors" snake oil?

Maybe not exactly relevant, but Bruce Hofer (of Audio Precision) here explains some of the causes of distortion caused by different types of resistors and capacitors. It shows that there is definitely a difference in the TYPE (electrolytic, film, ceramic, tantalum you name it). Since the causes...
  8. H

RME ADI-2 FS Version 2 DAC and Headphone Amp Review

It has a single ak4493. The AK4493 has 2 channels as output.
  9. H

That's not the point of his comment. The point is that it has a lot of extra features. If you don't value those extra features and are not willing to pay for them, well, sorry to burst your bubble but then the product is not for you! Others might find those features useful. Based on the name RME...
  10. H

The datasheet states a THD+n of -113dB, your result is significantly lower. What part of the circuitry would you say had the most impact on reducing the distortion? Based on my own experience the VREF is rather sensitive. Does the capacitor quality really matter there? Do we need expensive...
  11. H

Rythmik L12 Subwoofer Review

Calling servo or motion feedback easy is a severe understatement of it. It's probably one of the hardest parts to do right in loudspeaker design. Especially if you want to design a consistent controller (a controller that you can manufacture 10349193847 times). You also need to have great...
  12. H

I think he uses the signal that is generated by the woofer. It definitely works, whether it's worth all the effort for the amount of gains that you get is arguable. Motional feedback after all is SIGNIFICANTLY more difficult to design than the "normal" kind of subwoofers. I'm very interested in...
  13. H

Assuming the voltage source works like any other differential amplifier and operates according to (OpenloopGain)*(NONIN-IN). The amplifier tries to keep the voltage difference on it's input equal to 0. Knowing that, we can put a sense resistor between the load and ground (very small, order of...
  14. H

You can make any amplifier a transconductance amplifier (current drive). This CAN be done (there are multiple ways) by a sensing resistor in series with the actuator, in this case the woofer. Shame they don't use accelerometers and an analog controller. Secondary windings on the woofer suffer...
  15. H

Since to see companies using motional feedback in sealed enclosures (as it should be). Does the system use digital feedback and is the amplifier current driven? Current drive in combination with servo's always lead to very nice results for subwoofers!
Top Bottom