Recent content by hex168

1. H

End Game Speakers - The Quest Continues

A couple of additional thoughts: KEF R3s with a single big KEF sub were not as close to the really good stuff as I thought they might be. Not bad, just not impressive. Same caveat as above: unfamiliar source material. I also heard Stein Bobbys and they were surprisingly good, even though the...
  2. H

I was just at the Montreal Audiofest. I was listening (not "auditioning"- I was not trying out for a part) to several speakers and headphones, unfortunately with mostly unfamiliar source material. A few quick observations: MKR is right about Diptyques; the DP140s are very good and do some...
  3. H

What headphone(s) do you own ?

JVC HA-S500 - very good EQed but lots of clamping pressure on the head. That's why the bass is good, I suppose. Zero2 - no opinion yet, recent purchase Stax something or other - lost in a closet somewhere Audio Technica Electret headphones - lost in the same closet
  4. H

Fosi Audio SK02 DAC & HP Amp Review

What would be the effect of the 4 ohm output impedance on HE400SE headphones (25 ohm impedance, very low but also entirely flat)?
  5. H

A Call For Humor!

Odd, that bacon doesn't look rendered.
  6. H

Sigberg Audio Saranna (fullrange, cardioid active floorstander) development thread

Just a thought: Might there be a benefit in using a resistive L-pad rather than a single resistor? Having a resistor in parallel with the compression driver might make compensation for its impedance peaks easier and beneficial even with an active crossover (I do not know the circuit you are...
  7. H

Speakers from last century that you love

Infinity Monitor Jrs. Quite impressive for 1977.
  8. H

Complex impedance load amp FR influence - WiiM Amp review by Erin

Playing with EQ, I can easily hear a 1 dB broad Q change. However, that is different from having a preference. For a 1 dB change in the midrange I did not have a consistent preference across varying program material. (Note: not blind.)
  9. H

JBL Stage A130 Review (speaker)

Absolute polarity can be slightly audible but not night and day. Take a look at this thread: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/absolute-polarity-myth-or-important.29391/ One issue is that many recordings have it wrong as well. (If I misunderstood and you only changed...
  10. H

Sigberg Audio Manta Cardioid active speakers: Full measurements (Spinorama)

I've never understood paying anything beyond cursory attention to on-axis response. It is on a single line and covers zero area.
  11. H

For what it's worth, here's my list of speakers I am curious about at that level: Eminent Technology LFT-8c with subs (I've heard a custom larger version could be done) Sigberg Manta AudioKinesis Bohemian 215 with subs AudioKinesis Gina with "SuperStand" - don't blame me, I did not name it.
  12. H

Budget Directiva Project

Rick, sorry for cluttering your thread with drivers. Eagerly awaiting whatever you come up with.
  13. H

Budget Directiva Project

Thank you. I did not see the WOM on Solen' s site. I'll look again.
  14. H

Budget Directiva Project

I saw some not-too-great third party measurements on that one on Diyaudio. It might clear up enough using 10 degrees at the design axis, or not. https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threads/kartesian-cox165_vpa-reviews.374689/ An interesting alternative (to me at least) is replacing the DXT...
  15. H

New ASR logo proposal

I had exactly the same reactions to the design elements, point by point, that you did, which I find interesting. I did not think there would be that much convergence in reactions to this sort of thing. To the OP, good work and thank you!
Top Bottom