Recent content by HerbertWest

1. HerbertWest

Neumann kh310 wall mount

FWIW Neumann mounting accessories are extremely solid. I used their wall mounts for the KH80 at home for ceiling duty, and “pointing” the speakers to the listening position was east. I suspect that in case of earthquake these things will be the only things standing. :P
  2. HerbertWest

Quiet Compact Mechanical Keyboards

I find wooting keyboards to be pretty slick, both the 60E and the standard-sized. The analog Hall-effect keys plus total configurability are unique. Their videos show how all that stuff works in practice. https://wooting.io/wooting-60he
  3. HerbertWest

Introducing Hang Loose Convolver from Accurate Sound

Good stuff @mitchco, these features are super useful!!!
  4. HerbertWest

A comparison of convolution engines

Confirmed :) I use penteo VST upstream of the convolver VST module within the host.
  5. HerbertWest

Why is RME so expensive?

These are super useful for me too. I appreciated seeing how the RME team listened to their customers and added features to the Pro over time, eg “pairing” the volume knob for all 4 out channels at the same time (2.2 system use case). And many more detailed in the manual.
  6. HerbertWest

JPS LABS ULTRACONDUCTOR 2 XLR Cable Review

Kudos on creativity oO. Listening remorse or buyer’s remorse :)
  7. HerbertWest

RME ADI-2/4 Pro SE - RIAA mode measurements

And DC digital filter. The friendly manual covers these features extensively.
  8. HerbertWest

Uhm, HL input on the subs would help with the crossover, but maybe defeat the purpose of having separate PEQ for subs via the ADI. Maybe I am missing something. The ADI2/4 has 4 xlr/trs out, and I’d use these to interconnect the subs, IF you can have the crossover duties done outside of the...
  9. HerbertWest

Introducing Hang Loose Convolver from Accurate Sound

FWIW I happily use HLC and Audiolense filters with movie content out of a Marantz AV7706 (Audissey disabled). HLC handles 11 channels (5.4.2) with no issue ; end to end latency measured by the avp is ~60ms IIRC (without linear phase crossovers ofc). That is on top of a more traditional role for...
  10. HerbertWest

Page 108 in the manual has more context about the riaa mode (copying from it, all rights to RME of course): The available digital headroom scales with the selected gain, and is visible and can be checked in the level meter at any time, i.e. is adjustable by the user according to personal...
  11. HerbertWest

Can VST plugins like Penteo 16 or Halo Upmix + jRiver replace AVR-hardware?

PC. Win10. No GPU, just an AMD cpu with graphics. Main use is audio, not movies.
  12. HerbertWest

Can VST plugins like Penteo 16 or Halo Upmix + jRiver replace AVR-hardware?

I have an UCX2, and I use penteo as vsx plug-in in jriver: Roon 2.0 -> penteo (in Jriver) to Auro3D 5.4 -> audiolense 7.4.2 (asio sound card in Jriver) Jriver can compensate 1.1s of filter latency when I upmix old 2.0 movies. I also tested: Line input 2.0 -> penteo (in HangLooseConvolver) to...
  13. HerbertWest

New (2021) RME Fireface UCX II

You can leave it on, and turn off the power at the strip. The UCX2 will turn on once power is restored. IIRC the question was asked on the RME forum for the UCX and the ADI. For me “Alexa, turn on UCX” works: after the UCX, my wifi-connected power strip enables the monitors waiting a few seconds...
  14. HerbertWest

Neumann KH 310A Review (Powered Monitor)

Investigating anecdotes is a good practice to uncover latent defects. however, while the trigger for the investigation might be anecdotal, the investigation itself should rely on hard data, and not anecdotes without quantifiable aspects. In this case, with all due respect, we are just collecting...
  15. HerbertWest

New (2021) RME Fireface UCX II

Fun off topic. These days, I’m teaching my 4-year-old son to combine letters into words. We usually think about a topic (‘an animal that barks’), a relevant word (‘dog’), and then we write it together with toy letters. Yesterday my wife started the topic ‘music’, but he gave her a puzzling word...
Top Bottom