Recent content by HammerSandwich

1. H

Any interest in an ASR community speaker project?

While I'm still putting together another batch of charts, here are a few comments on drivers that probably won't get plotted. Not that they're poor drivers, but they don't seem like good fits for this project. 22W/8534 - Close to RS225 but wants a bigger box and more money. Compare those 2...
  2. H

That surprises me a bit. With ~300Hz XO, does woofer size really affect the polars that much?
  3. H

Woofer Comparison, Mk 1 First, I'm not sure about the W250S. Both -4 & -8 versions show ~2dB more sensitivity in Vcad than on the spec sheet or Dibirama's -8 test. I haven't found a reason yet, but $68 says it might be worth looking more. If Vcad's correct, the top end is loud but LF a...
  4. H

Ocean Way HR5 Studio Monitor Review

Can we save that one for reviews which recommend products while containing no rational analysis?
  5. H

What cables do you use in your systems?

I realize this sounds totally insane, but Monoprice now lists them. They start at 3' & 10A for... $0.86, quantity 1.
  6. H

Before comparing drivers, let's consider what box size affects in active speakers with DSP & a known amplifier. Because we're plotting SPL at the amp's limit, we can only reduce level in DSP. For example, if we want to boost 40Hz, we need to reduce SPL everywhere else. That can give more...
  7. H

I was looking at your summary charts in posts 123, 155 & 180. At least some of the drivers are already in Vcad's library, but I can pull datasheets. So, shoot for max 40Hz & we'll see where Vb falls?
  8. H

I figure I'll start with sealed boxes at 16Vrms, per earlier. Does a 30L limit sound appropriate for this project? Always using Qtc 0.707 doesn't make a lot of sense, IMO, if box size varies 3:1. We all know that bigger boxes will give more bass output for a given amp (at least until Xmax)...
  9. H

Nothing. I just checked the TPA3116 datasheet, which essentially matches Dayton's specs. Within a dB or so, it breaks down like this... On 19V, BTL stereo can make 2x 40W in 4Ω, so 12+Vrms. This is 13dBW, so 87dB speakers would just hit 100dB. Jump to a 24V PSU, and you get 60W | 16Vrms |...
  10. H

Incredibly impressive projects! I was blown away by his outdoor measurement rig that combined an in-ground infinite baffle with a rotating mic frame.
  11. H

This reminds me that you need to consider the amp's Vrms in your driver selection. A driver's impedance peak can keep its power draw fairly low, making voltage the limiting factor. If you're looking only at a power limit, this can fool you. The earlier SPL estimates were based on Xmax, right...
  12. H

FoLLgoTT at DIYA, and see his project page.
  13. H

ErinsAudioCorner

This omits the distance factor.
  14. H

ErinsAudioCorner

Get it to @amirm first. Or did I miss that you both measured the same speaker already? Not same model - same exact unit.
Top Bottom