Recent content by Halcyon

1. H

Digital audio quality of modern Android Devices via USB-output from hi-res sources?

So I actually tested this myself: USB digital audio Output from Android 10/11 with standard Android USB driver and feeding it to an external DSP and letting it detect what is being fed to it. The results are (following devices giving the digital USB audio output): - Samsung Galaxy S9...
  2. H

Digital audio quality of modern Android Devices via USB-output from hi-res sources?

Any idea about LG phones with QuadDAC? Some of those can be had for quite cheap now that LG is exiting the mobile phone business? Would make a nice player (on the go with headphone output and stationary with USB-output) esp. if the USB-digital output is not 48kHz resampling.
  3. H

So, if one is using a Streaming app, then one is tied to the intricacies of that streaming app and no way to know, right? Do you know of the android audio usb sub-system has changed recently in Android 10-11? Any differences in regards to which Android version to use?
  4. H

Has anybody measured the digital output of Modern Android phone / tablet devices (say Android 10 or later) from the USB output using hi-resolution lossless sources (like 24-bit / 96+ kHz FLAC sources)? - Does the Android audio subsystem digital USB output allow for bit-perfect (non-resampled)...
  5. H

Any plans to review phones as DAC sources?

GSMArena doesn't measure output power at all. That is really lacking in 99% of smartphones 3.5mm headphone output.
  6. H

Which DAC measurements do you like to see next?

It would be an excellent service to all smartphone users to have an update to the USB-C to 3.5mm headphone DAC dongle offerings. iBasso DC01 / DC02 https://www.carvelink.com.hk/item/iBasso-DC01%E5%B9%B3%E8%A1%A1%E8%A7%A3%E7%A2%BC%E8%80%B3%E6%94%BE%E7%B7%9A/4899690461265920 HifiMe Tiny Type-C...
  7. H

Evidence-based Speaker Designs

Most of the Finnish loudspeaker scene is pretty much dominated by Uniform Directivity (i.e. fairly linearly downward sloping on+off-axis power spectrum). Examples of these, in addition to Jorma Salmi's (RIP) Gradient are: Amphion Krypton series (hypercardiod diffusion pattern horizontally and...
  8. H

What is the cause of "digital glare"?

Well, having been at this also since the 80s and studies psychoacoustics, this is what I've learned. YMMV: 1. If manufacturers could design only by measurements, they would. Doing ABX double-blind sensory evaluations is a major PITA and very expensive. Ask Sean Olive. 2. Every single decade we...
  9. H

I'd have to go back to my notes, this was years ago (10 or so?) when I was still a hifi freelance journalist and studied psychoacoustics. I have a faint recall that one unit was a Mark Levinson and other I can't remember other than being a boutique one from Europe. Most ABXes we did we using...
  10. H

Beg to differ. I've done double-blinded psychoacoustically sound (anchored) tests on this. A couple of local people who have auditorily far more accurate than I am, can actually detect similarly measuring AMPS and DACS under such conditions. And one of the description one reviewer often uses for...
  11. H

HELP: THX AAA 789 + GSX1000

I think this is where one needs to trust one's own ears. Positional cues are real, but can only be calculated from true positional signals (game engine internally, or 5.1/7.1 sound streams). I've played CS on competitive level (granted, more than a decade ago) and would not have resorted to the...
  12. H

I agree, but this depends on the game. If the game does NOT have built-in 3D headphone virtualization, then you only get stereo, with ZERO 3D positional cues. In this case, it is better to use 5.1 / 7.1 sound output from the game and use the soundcard to do the X.1 -> 3D virtualization...
  13. H

If you are a competitive gamer and need/can use the multi-channel binauralization of GSX1000, then you can NOT use 1) external DAC OR 2) External AMP (unless, for the latter, you drive the external amp from the headphone output of the GSX1000, which will result in decreased sound quality)...
  14. H

Which DAC measurements do you like to see next?

It has only been shipping for a few months, AND it initially only shipped along with (some quite crummy) gaming headphones, not by itself. It has now been shipping as a solo DAC (w/O headphoned) for... 3 days!. So, I doubt that the popularity is very high. Much more popular are: - Creative...
Top Bottom