Recent content by Haflermichi

1. H

Technics SU-C01 beautiful circuit board - how to fix input selector

Deoxit!!! Clean with D Protect with G By the way, I oriented the Yamaha receiver on it's side (selector switch oriented up and down) so that the Deoxit D would have the best chance of creeping along the full length of contacts. Work the selector switch back and forth through all the input...
  2. H

While you're at it, PLEASE clean all those pretty gold, RCA ground shells. Then also do your best to clean the connection inside each one...:)
  3. H

You have not mentioned which type of "Deoxit" you have. There is D series, which is cleaner. There is G series, which is preservative. In the D series alone there are at least 3 different formations... Either may help. I have both and in these situations I "follow the directions" and clean...
  4. H

Good Robert Heinlein quote for this site

Unfortunately, "Common sense is not so common". Votaire
  5. H

Share your best “bargain of my life” story.

I posted this same story under a thread about buying speakers without auditioning them first. But it applies to this thread as well. I bought a pair of used Hales Revelation Three un-auditioned based on reviews (yes, unfortunately Stereophile) but also recommendation from a trusted friend who...
  6. H

Funny audio related things you see in movies?

Minidiscs were the medium used to record and playback peoples memories and physical experiences, to be sold illicitly like drugs, in Katherine Bigelows' 1995 film Strange Days.
  7. H

Funny audio related things you see in movies?

On thing that always bugged the frick out of me was whenever someone was shown loading a CD it was always with the label side DOWN!
  8. H

Bryston 4b/ Swan hivi 3.1

Yep. Unless caps are measured for both value and ESR, and found to be far outside of their tolerance, a lot of "recapping" is wishful thinking. Any competent hobbyist with a good multi-meter and and ESR meter can check. Any competent, and honest technician should do the same and not sell a...
  9. H

What is on your workbench right now?

Sony CDR-W33, Audio only CD-R recorder. This is my second unit. Listed on eBay as "drawer won't open". Drawer belts on these stretch and/or break over time. Having done this job before and having a spare belt on-hand, I got it. It turns out to have a completely different drive than my first...
  10. H

Fireworks and animals

It is difficult for me to quantify other posters experiences but I grew up in Hawaii, on Oahu where fireworks (both fire "crackers" and aerials) were and are cultural. It's gotten far worse recently with hundreds of people stopping on the major freeway to watch which is pure idiocy to me. In...
  11. H

You’re a MiniDisc fan but don’t exactly understand why?

That is a cool looking MD! I wonder how they printed on the shell like that...? Another aspect I love about MD is the in-machine editability. Like splitting tracks and being able to "trim" the cut point by fractions of a second. In this mode, the machine rehearses the split in a loop while you...
  12. H

You’re a MiniDisc fan but don’t exactly understand why?

I understand exactly why I'm a fan of the format. I read early on of the development of the format vs. DCC. As an avid prior taper I hated the fragility of tape. MD made life easy, along with high durability. I never kidded myself about the "Near CD" sound quality and I'm perfectly happy with...
  13. H

Stripping audio signal cables

I got this from Amazon for jackets. There are many like this which are fully adjustable. There are also super simple ones with a non-replaceable blade embedded in plastic with a finger-hole that you use to spin around the jacket but they are sometimes unpredictable. Then get the Jokari to strip...
Top Bottom