Recent content by Grumpish

1. G

Your Favorite Loudspeakers of all time whether you owned them or not

Spendor BC-1 - the first real hi-fi speakers that I owned and driven at the time by a DIY Lindsey Hood 10W per channel class A amplifier (showing my age here).
  2. G

Am I deaf? And what is the next step up?

Don't get hung up on the far left "measurements are everything" mantra- what feels good to you is what matters.
  3. G

The Worlds Best Cables are always sold out.

A logistics issue, maybe Amazon, maybe WBC - go to Amazon UK site and there is plenty of stock available.
  4. G

Hearing and hearing aid recommendations

Those that support Bluetooth will usually work as IEMs. I use mine as IEM's when I am out and about - sound is not great though, which is understandable as hearing aids are intended as speech aids, not for listening to music, and the heavyweight DSP that is built into modern hearing aids is...
  5. G

Hearing and hearing aid recommendations

I think it might be that you feel that you can no longer reliably gauge how loud you are speaking and worry that it might be too loud. I am the same though, my hearing loss is moderate in one ear and moderate to severe in the other ear and I get the same kind of thing, I often get asked to speak...
  6. G

Burn_in Time

With the sound of headphones being very dependent on the fit - yes, some "burn-in" while the pads mold to your head shape, but anything else is totally irrelevant.
  7. G

Question re: tube amp grounding/safety

The prices that people will pay for NOS WE 300B tubes are totally insane, and the prices for new WE branded 309B tubes are not much better - on the other hand my DIY headphone amp using RCA Type 45 tubes that are older than I am, gets, with its probably 1%+ distortion, more use than my THX 789...
  8. G

Daniel Htz. Only ones that understand digital vs analog?

Yes, totally over-engineered. Like the hotch-potch of different resistors, which as any audiophile knows really should not be off the shelf commercial components, like the Vishay Dales that quite a few of those seem to be.
  9. G

Tube Rolling: Does it Make a Difference?

Hardly a rigorous test, but I can remember watching some YouTube videos on someone tube rolling on a Schitt Freya. Yes, I could definitely hear a difference, though not the one I was supposed to be hearing, to me the new tubes sounded better than the ridiculously expensive NOS tubes. Out of...
  10. G

There is something very, very wrong with today’s music

My parents thought that what I liked was (mostly) shite. I think that most of what is produced these days is shite. Who is wrong, who is right?
  11. G

Budget passive preamp with stepped attenuator?

Not really budget, but I use a Khozmo passive with separate L/R stepped volume controls. Order direct, you can specify what options you want, and what impedance you want, plus you are dealing with a real person at the other end. https://khozmo.com/
  12. G

Effect of Cannabis use on hearing

I recently spent three months in South East Asia, avoiding winter, two of those in Thailand, where weed was legalized last year, and spent a more than a few enjoyable evenings sat on hotel balconies getting pleasantly stoned. The one consistent effect that I noticed that I was able to resolve...
  13. G

People who switched your library from MP3 to FLAC how did you go about doing it?

The hard way - I re-ripped the stuff that I had ripped as .MP3 as .FLAC. I was bored stupid at the time, I was off work with a broken leg after a motorcycle accident (some ... stupid taxi driver had done U-turn right in front of me). dbPowerAmp to start with, then EAC (which is still my...
  14. G

How to use a Balanced/Unbalanced in/out Headphone Amplifier?

Depends on the amplifier- the first thing is that there is no such thing as a balanced output into a speaker or headphone, it is either a bridged pair of amplifiers on a common ground, or a single amplifier. At line level balanced gives better noise rejection, for headphones a greater voltage...
  15. G

What is a patch cable and should I be using one for my subwoofer?

The vast majority of studios are cabled through out with cables from Belden, Canare,, Mogami, no-name bulk Ethernet cable, and connectors from the likes of Neutrik and Studiocraft.
Top Bottom