Recent content by gfinlays

1. gfinlays

Drop Dan Clark Audio Aeon Closed X

I've just grabbed a very nice used pair of these from eBay plus a custom cable with a 4 pin XLR plugs to fit my tube headphone amps and Benchmark HPA4. My current cans line up includes 2 pairs of Sennheiser HD580, a pair of Emotiva GR1 and a pair of Beyerdynamic DT150. They're a demanding load...
  2. gfinlays

Emotiva Airmotiv B1+ Review (Bookshelf Speaker)

Would you be able to share the details of the mods?
  3. gfinlays

Locking Banana comparison

See post #27 and Amir's review of the AHB2. Amir lost 3 dB of SINAD with normal bananas compared to Speakons.
  4. gfinlays

This is from Benchmark Media in relation to their AHB2: I've got no skin in this game (I've been an all Neutrik Speakon guy for years), but common sense tells me that locking bananas would maintain a higher contact pressure than standard bananas and therefore make a better connection...
  5. gfinlays

Which Speaker Cables- (Welded v. Solder & BFA v. Bananas)

Given the relatively low cost, I'd go with Blue Jeans Cable. The 4S11 offers vanishingly low inductance due to its Starquad geometry. And with welded connectors, you can't go wrong.
  6. gfinlays

Locking bananas generally provide a much better connection than non-locking plugs...
  7. gfinlays

Shunyata Factory Tour - and how do THESE claims hold up?

An MRI uses about 20 kWh per scan, apparently, CT quite a bit lower, but nonetheless, power consumption is on an industrial scale, with no doubt, similar effects on mains noise. https://pubs.rsna.org/doi/full/10.1148/radiol.2020192084# As you say, none of us has an MRI or CT scanner next door...
  8. gfinlays

Is the entire audio industry a fraud?

It's no more difficult than measuring current flow through not so low impedance stuff. It's done in industrial applications day in day out. Low impedance? On a hi-fi power cable? Try the impedance per metre of a 400 mm² cable. 0.0428 (R) ohms per km, 0.0503 (X) ohms per km, both @ 80 °C...
  9. gfinlays

How is this possible? Shunyata power line filtering (with video)

Did you do any listening tests without knowing which cord was in use each time?
  10. gfinlays

I think I found the perfect USB C headphone dongle...

My Sennheiser IE 500 Pro has a THD of 0.08%. Over most of the useable range on a 16 ohm load, the Moondrop Dawn measures <0.002% THD+N, 32dB down compared to the IEM's own distortion. Any improvement just wouldn't be audible, so why worry? I'm all for good measured performance, where it...
  11. gfinlays

What makes you say that? The IE 500 Pro is 16 ohm and it can drive them well beyond hearing damage levels.....
  12. gfinlays

After reading this diiscussion, I bought the 4.4 mm balanced version to use with a pair of Sennheiser IE 500 Pro IEMs (I had to butcher the original cable to fit a 4.4 mm Pentaconn TRRRS jack plug). I also bought a Pentaconn to 4 pin XLR adapter so I can use the IEMs with all of my other...
  13. gfinlays

Furutech NCF Clear Line Review (AC Optimizer)

I avoid the Steve Hoffman forum. Contains more bullshit than a 36 tonne muck spreader.
  14. gfinlays

If it fits within your budget, you could do a lot worse than the Topping PA5.
  15. gfinlays

They work really well near-field. Have a pair on my desk with an Emotiva S8 sub on the floor. I stuffed the ports with some felt wool and they integrate with the sub really well.
Top Bottom