Recent content by Gerryh

1. G

JBL 708P Review (Professional Monitor)

How do you like them compared to the 8351's? G
  2. G

Topping D70s MQA Review (DAC)

I picked up an RME ADI-2 FS. Works great (no MQA obviously) and I'll revisit whether I want full MQA unfolds down the line.
  3. G

Well the one constant with the issues was the dac. :) I will be returning the unit. It seems to work ok with Audirvana direct from my MacBook, but using theTidal app on OSX has issues and the Raspberry Pi was a complete no go. Topping support said that they don't test with linux at all...
  4. G

I am only having issues with MQA streams. Regular FLAC/AIFF in CD and 24/192 quality and upsampling to DSD 512 (as as test) through Roon show no problems. I have been in touch with Topping service and they have confirmed issues with MQA files from Mac OSX Tidal app -> USB into the D70s -...
  5. G

Looking for a DAC/Streamer with these specs

It also does not render MQA files - its not an MQA compatible dac.
  6. G

Hi there, has anyone had issues with this dac and MQA streams? I am using Roon for playback with an ethernet wired Pi4 running the latest version of Ropieee XL. USB in to the dac. Setup is : Pi4 4gb with RopieeeXL (Latest release version) wired ethernet in -> Topping D70s MQA Dac via USB ->...
  7. G

Active Speakers & Smaller Rooms - Advice & Does Woofer Size Matter?

Hi all, I'm on a roll today with two posts in about six months - thanks in advance for everyone's help! :) I will be moving cities for work for about a year, and I don't want to drag my system across the country (Kef R700 towers, Cambridge dac/streamer, Crown amp) so I'm looking at an...
  8. G

DAC voltage as pre-amp and relation to SPL

@Wayne A. Pflughaupt - Yes that's correct. @Blumlein 88 - Thanks. I guess I am a bit lucky in that the amp has adjustable gain which will help a bit. Otherwise it doesn't sound like many dac's will have that type of voltage to make up the lower source level. Would a pre-amp help? G
  9. G

DAC voltage as pre-amp and relation to SPL

Hi all, I've got a question relating to the Vrms output of a dac used as a pre-amp into a power amp, and its relationship to SPL. As an example with a dac that can output say 4vrms from an XLR out to a power amp - would a dac that can output say 5 or higher like some of the Benchmark/RME dac's...
  10. G

SMSL M500 - Owners' Thread

Just as a follow up to @jdoe's post - is there any reported difference or reported listed changes with the 1.7 firmware and 1.3 hardware? I was an early purchaser and have upgraded to 1.5 firmware and have 1.2 hardware (with the USB driver update 1.08 I believe). I had issues with pops when the...
  11. G

Mitch Barnett's New Calibration Service

I too will highly recommend his DSP services. He presented a number of filters for me until I finally settled on one - it was an iterative and very educational process. He's very patient and happy to answer any and all questions (including all my stupid ones!). I ended up with a roll off at...
  12. G

SMSL M500 DAC and HP Amp Review

Yes sorry 1.5 SW - typo. The clicks are between the tracks, and even advancing the track - it seems like the Dac has to figure out what the signal is first then process it. Once the track is playing with no advancing or skip forward/back a track it is fine. Just advancing or moving tracks...
  13. G

SMSL M500 DAC and HP Amp Review

I just bought a red unit - the shipment was delayed while the factory updated or re-shipped the unit to the seller through Ali Express. I have updated to 1.08 and have SW 1.05. Playback of MQA, Hi-res (up to 24/192) and DSD (up to DSD64) have some issues: MQA: Get a pop/click when switching...
Top Bottom