Recent content by GeorgeBynum

1. GeorgeBynum

Guitar industry challenges high-end audio for most absurd snake oil sales pitch

Where is the water source to dampen the frequency or sound? Does it cause the strings to rust? Sound or other vibration or motion is DAMPED, not dampened. Where did this misuse originate?
  2. GeorgeBynum

A Call For Humor!

This is why we have Polish (and reverse Polish) notation
  3. GeorgeBynum

macOS vs. Windows vs. Linux

A Logitech M585 BT connection which can switch between my Windows laptop and my MacBook Air; no dongle needed.
  4. GeorgeBynum

macOS vs. Windows vs. Linux

AutoCAD is one that reliably quit working on new Window versions. Since they quit selling it, license only, I don't know. Several Adobe products were guilty too; I had Photoshop Elements for 2 months when it quit working with my updated Windows and had to buy a new version ... or switch to GIMP...
  5. GeorgeBynum

Replacing The Manufacture’s Jumper Bar

Too much wine, not enough science. Just for grins, look inside the box at the wire from the terminals to the voice coils ... bet it is smaller than #16 ...
  6. GeorgeBynum

Why are single drivers disliked to such an extent by most in this forum?

My boss, chief engineer of the company where I was a co-op student lab technician back in 1970 was an audio fanatic. He explained how "reciprocity" allowed using a speaker as a microphone to determine its response. MAYBE there is nothing to his teasing this sophomore EE student, but if so, how...
  7. GeorgeBynum

Frankly, it's hell to choose an AVR

For use as a television, I 100% agree with you. Some folks in photo and video editing, and engineering graphics work appreciate every bit of those levels of resolution on monitors in the 27" to maybe 40". But I'm off-topic s they wouldn't be using an AVR.
  8. GeorgeBynum

Internet Upload Speeds

I think it has to do with cable. When I had Charter, mine was 20 down, 1 up. I have fiber (ATT) and now, with their slowest, get 500 down, 500 up. I __THINK__ most fiber is symmetrical.
  9. GeorgeBynum

Audio watt meter for speakers?

Just for grins, 15 or so years ago, I hooked up a data acquisition system to dynamically monitor pressure in a constant flow system, 1000 samples/sec. I calculated power in the acquisition system software, but could have done it in a spreadsheet program like Excel. Look at the DI-188 or...
  10. GeorgeBynum

A Call For Humor!

I'm primarily a Windows user, but at my son's recommendation, bought a MacBook Air; love the screen. I usually snip directly to the clipboard with <shift><control><command><4>. I can paste into email, messages, and WhatsApp. I've not tried a word processor. (Windows because of the...
  11. GeorgeBynum

Buckeye 3 Channel Purifi Amp Review

Dimple/swage instead of countersinking?
  12. GeorgeBynum

Good-looking power cable

As far as I know, only copper (nominally "pure"), aluminum, and CCA (copper clad aluminum) are used in typical power cables. I've done support work on machinery at a company who make "high performance conductors" of other materials, in particular, silver. Your linear power supply will draw...
  13. GeorgeBynum

Advice wanted: Taking over an HiFi Store

You, as owner, would want to be billing based on at least $100(US) per hour, probably double that. I cannot imagine your customer being willing to pay that for those services. Otherwise, I'm ignorant but my thought is run, don't walk, the other way.
Top Bottom