Recent content by Gekel

1. G

What are we listening to right now..

My cat stopped snoring last Friday morning when he died. I miss this sound already. Fuck
  2. G

Snake Oil Department, Top This

This sounds like: "everything looks like a nail if you only have a hammer."
  3. G

I am not good enough in faking something like this, but maybe someone else with better grammar and style could hop over to one of these forums and add this as essential element for better sound - the correct alignment of the equipment according to the magnetic field of the earth and the need of...
  4. G

Anyone knows QSA (Quantum science audio)? They sell some nice stuff, e.g. a silver fuse, advertised in a strange way: https://quantum-science-audio.com/silver-%26-horn-sound-fuse Such a silver fuse is sold for 5k USD, and the guys at audiophilestyle are already singing the song of the...
  5. G

Let's talk about food!

I can also buy cheddar without problems, but even according to the official numbers I am looking at 450 types of cheese here in Switzerland, and this list does not take into account that almost every farm on any mountain makes its own cheese. Sometimes you can only buy the cheese only locally...
  6. G

What are we listening to right now..

My cat, sleeping&snoring on the bed.
  7. G

Let's talk about food!

Presentation.... Self made bread Local supermarket - the area with the open cheese Details: Side note: the area in the first pictureshows around 30% of the total area reserved for cheese. More bread And finally the correct tool to handle the bread. the smaller ones are older, the...
  8. G

Let's talk about food!

It is generally a problem to find any good cheese (and bread) in the USA. And chocolate, too. Greetings from Switzerland.:cool:
  9. G

A Raspberry Pi as a music server

Never had any issues with moode. Downloaded the image, "burned" it to a sd card, used etcher for that because it also works for the standard pi boot images. Fire that thing up, locate the IP and then use the web interface for setting up the system - done. For me it was very simple as I only had...
  10. G

Long cable for DAC/headphone amp, what's best for Hi Res audio?

Maybe cheaper: store the FLAC at a central place, e.g. a NAS. Put a network audio player at each place you want to listen to music (RAspi Pi3 or 4 running moode e.g.) and attach a DAC to such a player. This saves you from trying to run long cables across the rooms. If you try to reach or even...
  11. G

Extreme Snake Oil

Can confirm. Just opened the Fritzbox Tuning thread, saw the idea of enhancing the sound quality by using a new power supply. Then had a quick look at the USB cable thread,... and then I left that thing again. After I was told to be throlling by the site owner when I tried to explain someone...
  12. G

Extreme Snake Oil

They did not even waste time on making the parts look like high end. Check the screws and how they look like on the web page. For 3.1k USD I excpect them to be shiny and golden (the upper ones). And the ones on the back are not really painted well, the black paint already falls off.
  13. G

Did You Buy Based On Amir's Review?

No, I absolutely didn't buy the stuff I planned to buy after watching Amir, and that saved me a ton of money wasted on snake oil products. :)
  14. G

What about the HiFi-market

And it is split into two groups: the ones who believe in measuring things before taking them into account (found on ASR), and the ones who hunt snake oil products, buy 24 core high end server to underclock them and to decode audio data, put in high end RAM modules and do some other crazy stuff...
  15. G

A Raspberry Pi as a music server

moode plays gapless. But why don't you just spend an hour or so, install the image on an sd card and run it on your own? Then you can check out if you like it or not. All you have to do is to create a smb share with the music on your nas and use this as data source on the pi.
Top Bottom