Recent content by GDK

1. GDK

ROON CORE ADEQUACY

It uses Yosemite and it works fine. I should mention that I am currently using Legacy 1.8 and not Arc 2.0 as I am worried that the Mac Mini will run out of puff eventually (and I don’t intend to use Arc), but I was part of the 2.0 trial and it again worked fine then.
  2. GDK

ROON CORE ADEQUACY

I used a 2009 Mac Mini that I picked up for C$200 on EBay for a Roon core without any issues. The stated required specifications are massively overdone.
  3. GDK

Full range floorstanders ~$4000 budget

I used to own them and quite liked them, but I always felt that they struggled in my small, oddly-shaped listening room. They were absolutely gorgeous, and that goes a long way for me. Here were my in-room measurements (L, R, Ave.); however with Audiolense I was able to get a very smooth FR. I...
  4. GDK

Master "deals" (massdrop, ebay, Amazon, etc.) Thread on Audio Product Sales

Kef R and Q series on sale (at least in Canada). Interestingly, the R3 discount (C$1,000) as a percentage of MRSP is significantly larger than their more expensive speakers. Clear out ahead of a new product launch? o_O...
  5. GDK

Making generalizations about music, another example of the 'Streetlight Effect' / "Drunkard's Fallacy"

Music actually peaked in 1971. https://www.loudersound.com/features/71-reasons-why-1971-is-rock-s-greatest-ever-year
  6. GDK

Who would buy a speaker without listening to it?

I actually don't think I have ever auditioned a speaker before buying it, but that may have more to do with my discomfort with being trapped in an listening room and making small talk with a salesperson for more than two minutes.
  7. GDK

JBL A130: Help a Noob!

Just make sure the two wires aren’t touching when they’re connected. Then never worry about it again.
  8. GDK

JBL A130: Help a Noob!

Get rid of the banana plugs and just connect using the bare wire?
  9. GDK

Do you have a favourite song?

BTW - Mine is Motorway to Roswell by the Pixies.
  10. GDK

Do you have a favourite song?

What song is this? The video isn’t available in Canada for some reason.
  11. GDK

EQ in ROON guidance

Then I would say play around until you find some settings that you like. It seems like you are on the right track. Unfortunately, every room and speaker is different and therefore the community is likely to be of limited assistance without seeing some proper measurements, which would allow us...
  12. GDK

EQ in ROON guidance

This is a good guide, but you need some form of calibrated measurement mic, like a UMIK-1. https://community.roonlabs.com/t/a-guide-how-to-do-room-correction-and-use-it-in-roon/23800
  13. GDK

Integrated that can subjectively compete with Benchmark stack?

Zip ties are a miracle invention when it comes to reducing cord clutter. However, failing that, a used Accuphase integrated with the added phono and DAC cards will get you a long way towards an all-in-one version of your Benchmark system.
Top Bottom